|Party Leader||Nursultan Nazarbayev|
|Founded||September 25, 2006|
|Merger of||Fatherland, Asar, Civic Party, Agrarian Party|
|Youth wing||Zhas Otan|
|Seats in Mazhilis||
83 / 107
The "Nur Otan" Democratic People's Party (Kazakh: "Нұр Отан" Халықтық Демократиялық Партиясы), called simply Nur Otan (Kazakh: Нұр Отан, "Radiant Fatherland"), is the ruling political party in Kazakhstan with over 762,000 members. Since 2007 it is headed by President of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev Nazarbayev's predecessor in the party was Bakhytzhan Zhumagulov. The party's First Deputy Chairman is Askar Myrzakhmetov.
The party's predecessor, Fatherland was originally established on February 12, 1999 after the merger of several pro-presidential parties, including the People's Union of Kazakhstan Unity, the Liberal Movement of Kazakhstan, and the "For Kazakhstan - 2030" Movement. At the "uniting" congress the new party outlined a program largely supportive of the government of Nazarbayev.
At the last legislative elections under the Otan banner in 2004, the party won 60.6% of the popular vote and 42 out of 77 seats. Otan merged with Dariga Nazarbayeva's Asar on 25 September 2006, increasing the party's seats by 4 to 46 out of 77.
After the merged party was formed, Nazarbayev remarked to his daughter "Tell your Asar members that... you are returning to your father." Nazarbayeva said on 19 June 2006 that all pro-Presidential parties should combine to create a grouping "with which no other party will be able to compete in the next 50 years."
In December 2006 it was announced that the Civic Party and the Agrarian Party would follow in Asar's path and also merge with Otan to increase Otan's share of MP's from 46 to 57 seats out of 77. Nazarbayev said he expected other parties to merge with Otan. Nazarbayev said there should be fewer, stronger parties that "efficiently defend the interests of the population." At the subsequent party congress on 22 December 2006, delegates voted to rename the party Nur Otan.
|Election year||Candidate||# of overall votes||% of overall vote||Result|
|Election||Seats won||±||Total votes||Share of votes||Position||Party leader|
98 / 98
|98||5,247,720||88.40%||Majority gov't||Karim Massimov|
83 / 98
|15||5,621,436||80.99%||Majority gov't||Karim Massimov|
84 / 98
|1||6,183,757||82.20%||Majority gov't||Nursultan Nazarbayev|
- Isaacs, Rico (2011). Party System Formation in Kazakhstan. Routledge. p. 224.
- Kazakhstan: Ruling Party Gets Even Bigger RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty
- President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev is the head of the Nur Otan party
- Information on Political Parties Participating on the Basis of Party Slates in Elections to Majilis of Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Parties of Kazakh Leader, Daughter Merge Townhall
- Analysis: Kazakh premier takes over daughter's party Middle East Times
- "Pro-Nazarbaev Party Merges With President's Power Base"
- Regions Party to cooperate with ruling party in Kazakhstan, Kyiv Post (24 November 2011)
- Official Website (Kazakh, Russian, English)