Location of Nurmes in Finland
|• Town manager||Asko Saatsi|
|• Total||1,854.78 km2 (716.13 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,601.09 km2 (618.18 sq mi)|
|• Water||253.7 km2 (98.0 sq mi)|
|Area rank||38th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||127th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.79/km2 (12.4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.3%|
|• 15 to 64||62.4%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
It was located in the former province of Eastern Finland until 2010 and is now in the North Karelia region. The town has a population of 7,675 (31 August 2018) and covers an area of 1,854.78 square kilometres (716.13 sq mi) of which 253.7 km2 (98.0 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.79 inhabitants per square kilometre (12.4/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Juuka, Kuhmo, Lieksa, Rautavaara, Sotkamo and Valtimo.
Nurmes railway station is the northern terminus of a twice-daily VR passenger train service from Joensuu; The service has been under threat of closure but is currently part of rail services that ministry of transportation requires VR to run in exchange for monopoly in more attractive routes and this agreement is currently valid until December 2019.
Hotel club Bomba is situated in Nurmes.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Nurmes is twinned with:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku kuukausittain sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2018" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "population_count" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Nurmeksen kielipesässä lapsista tulee karjalankielisiä". Archived from the original on 2012-01-15. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
Media related to Nurmes at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Nurmes – Official website
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|