Nurse Angel Ririka SOS
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nurse Angel Ririka SOS|
Manga volumne #1 cover
(Nāsu Enjeru Ririka EsuŌEsu)
|Written by||Yasushi Akimoto|
|Illustrated by||Koi Ikeno|
|Original run||January 1995 – June 1996|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Akitaro Daichi|
|Studio||Studio Gallop, NAS|
|Original network||TV Tokyo|
|Original run||July 7, 1995 – March 29, 1996|
Nurse Angel Ririka SOS (ナースエンジェルりりかＳＯＳ Nāsu Enjeru Ririka EsuŌEsu?) is a Japanese shōjo manga series created by music producer and television writer Yasushi Akimoto and manga creator Koi Ikeno. The manga was serialized in Ribon Magazine from January 1995 to June 1996, and subsequently collected into four bound volumes published by Shueisha. The story follows Ririka Moriya, an elementary school student who receives the power to transform into the legendary guardian, Nurse Angel. As Nurse Angel, she is the only person capable of protecting the Earth from world-destroying invaders.
Studio Gallop adapted the manga into a 35-episode anime TV series, which premiered in Japan in July 1995, airing on TV Tokyo affiliates. Additional media produced include novelizations and a theatrical musical that aired in digest form in the show's time slot after its conclusion.
The heroine, Ririka Moriya, is a bubbly (but slightly clumsy) 4th grader who has a crush on Nozomu Kanō, a transfer student from England. On her 10th birthday, Kanō (whom Ririka always calls Kanō-senpai) gives her a magical cap, which allows Ririka to transform into the heavenly guardian, Nurse Angel. Kanō-senpai tells her that he is really named Kanon, and he comes from the planet Queen Earth, which has been overrun by the evil organization Dark Joker. Dark Joker has poisoned that world, and so he was sent to find the legendary Nurse Angel, who would save both Earth and Queen Earth from destruction by finding Flower of Life (命の花 Inochi no Hana). With help from Kanō-senpai and her friend and neighbor Seiya Uzaki, she soon learns to fight as Nurse Angel to protect her friends.
Ririka Moriya (森谷りりか Moriya Ririka?)
- A cheerful, outgoing girl who wants to be a nurse when she grows up. She is a 4th grade student at White Dove Academy, a private school. Ririka lives in a household of five, including her parents, grandmother, and her little brother.
Seiya Uzaki (宇崎星夜 Uzaki Seiya?)
- Ririka's next-door neighbor, friend, and classmate. He loves Ririka, and will go to any length to protect her.
Nozomu Kanō (Kanō Nozomu)/Kanon (加納望/カノン Kanon?)
- An emissary from Queen Earth who was sent by Princess Helena to search for the Flower of Life and the legendary Nurse Angel. He becomes Ririka's mentor.
Princess Helena (ヘレナ王女 Herena Ōjo?)
- Voiced by: Yuri Amano
- The ruler of Queen Earth who sent Kanon to Earth in search of Nurse Angel, and she occasionally guides Ririka by speaking in her mind. The state of Queen Earth is reflected in Helena, and thus she is gravely ill.
Karin Mizuhara (水原花林 Mizuhara Karin?)
- A friend and classmate of Ririka who is outgoing and likes to speaks her mind.
Anna Kazami (風見安奈 Kazami Anna?)
- A friend and classmate of Ririka, she is demure and speaks in a very polite fashion.
Miyuki Kuwano (桑野みゆき Kuwano Miyuki?)
- A 4th grader at White Dove Academy who forms a fan club for Kanō. She is often frustrated because Kanō pays more attention to Ririka than her.
Mimina (ミミナ Mimina?)
- Voiced by: Noriko Namiki
- Princess Helena's younger sister, who decides to come to Earth posing as Kanō's little sister. Mimina develops a crush on Seiya.
Buros (ブロス Burosu?)
- The leader of Dark Joker, Buros' goal is to eliminate all life in the universe.
Dewey (デューイ Dyui?)
- One of Buros' lackeys - primarily an anime character, though he appears in a manga gaiden. He thinks of the battle for Earth in the terms of a game.
Keto (ケトー Ketō?)
- One of Buros' lackeys. He is a schemer who uses disguises and traps take his enemies by surprise.
Regi (レギ Regi?)
- Buros' younger brother who appears only in the manga.
For three weeks after the anime completed, footage of the Nurse Angel Ririka SOS musical was shown in its timeslot. Actress Kanako Irie (入絵加奈子 Irie Kanako?) stars as Rirka - she also appears in the film Kamikaze Girls. The three episodes are as follows:
- Where is the Flower of Life? (命の花はどこに Inochi no Hana wa Doko ni?)
- Say, Please Remember (ねえ 思い出して Nee Omoidashite?)
- Because You're Always at My Side (いつもそばにいるから Itsumo Soba ni Iru kara?)
- Nurse Angel Ririka SOS (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Nurse Angel Ririka SOS (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
(1/7/1994 - 6/30/1995)
|TV Tokyo Friday 18:00 Timeframe
Nurse Angel Ririka SOS
(July 7, 1995 - March 29, 1996)
Kodomo no Omocha
(4/5/1996 - 3/27/1998)