Bharucha in 2019
17 May 1985
Bharuccha made her acting debut with the 2006 film 'Jai Santoshi Maa'. Her second venture was the box office flop Kal Kissne Dekha (2009). The 2011 buddy drama Pyaar Ka Punchnama marked her first commercial success. She had her biggest successes by portraying the female lead in the comedies Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2 (2015), Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety (2018) and Dream Girl.
Born in Dawoodi Bohra Muslim family, her father, Tanvir, is a businessman and her mother, Tasneem, is a housewife. She is the only child of her parents. In June 2020, she made some changes in her name as she changed Nushrat Bharucha as Nushrratt Bharuccha due to astrology.
Bharuccha began her film career in 2006 with 'Jai Santoshi Maa' and then the 2009 film Kal Kissne Dekha. Her next release was Dibakar Banerjee's suspense film Love Sex Aur Dhokha. In 2011, she appeared in Luv Ranjan's buddy drama Pyaar Ka Punchnama, featuring an ensemble cast in which she was cast opposite Kartik Aaryan.
Bharuccha then starred in Ranjan's 2013 unsuccessful romantic drama Akaash Vani as the titular female lead opposite Aaryan and Sunny Nijar. Her first film of 2015, Darr @ The Mall opposite Jimmy Sheirgill, was a major box-office disaster. Later that year, she appeared in a sequel to Pyaar Ka Punchnama entitled Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2, which paired her opposite Aaryan again, alongside debutante Sunny Singh Nijjar. It became her first major commercial success, and her second success, earning over ₹880 million (US$12 million) worldwide.
In 2018, Bharuccha reunited with Aaryan and Nijjar in Ranjan's Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety, a romantic comedy about a man who tries to separate his friend from his fiancée as he thinks her to be a gold digger. Despite receiving mixed reviews from critics, Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety proved to be a blockbuster with domestic earnings of over ₹1.07 billion (US$15 million), and became Bharucha's first release to enter the 100 Crore Club. It emerged as one of her most successful as well.
In the next year, Bharuccha played Ayushmann Khurrana's romantic interest in Raaj Shaandilyaa's comedy film Dream Girl. It received generally positive reviews from critics. Dream Girl grossed ₹1 billion (US$14 million) at the domestic box office within 10 days of its release becoming Bharucha's second consecutive film to cross the mark of 100 Crore Club; with a worldwide gross of over ₹1.9 billion (US$27 million), it also emerged as her highest-grossing release. Also that year, she performed an item number "Peeyo Datt Ke" in the Milap Zaveri-directed thriller Marjaavaan sung by Yo Yo Honey Singh.
As of July 2019, Bharuccha has finished work on Hansal Mehta's social film Chhalaang, in which she is paired opposite Rajkummar Rao for the second time, and has been filming Nikhil Nagesh Tiwari's romantic thriller Hurdang opposite Sunny Kaushal and Vijay Varma.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2006||Jai Santoshi Maa||Mahima|
|2009||Kal Kisne Dekha||Riya|
|2010||Taj Mahal||Shruthi||Telugu film|
|2010||Love Sex Aur Dhokha||Shruti Dhaiya|
|2011||Pyaar Ka Punchnama||Neha|
|2014||Darr @ The Mall||Ahana|
|2015||Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2||Ruchika/Chiku|
|2016||Vaaliba Raja||Sweety||Tamil film|
|2018||Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety||Sweety Sharma|
|2019||Dream Girl||Mahi Karamveer Singh / Mahi Rajput|
|2019||Marjaavaan||Unnamed||Special appearance in song "Peeyu Datt Ke"|
|2020||Jai Mummy Di||Young Pinky||Special Appearance|
|"Ishq Tera"||Guru Randhawa|
|2020||"Peeyu Datke"||Yo Yo Honey Singh|
|2002||Kittie Party||Chiku||Zee TV|
|2010||Seven||Drishika Kashyap||Sony TV|
Awards and nominations
|2010||Kal Kisne Dekha||Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|2012||Pyaar Ka Punchnama||Stardust Awards||Best Breakthrough Performance – Female||Nominated|
|2015||Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||BIG Star Most Entertaining Actor in a Comedy Role – Female||Won|
|2015||Big Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Ensemble Cast||Won|
- "Nushrat Bharucha". Cine and TV Artistes Association (CINTAA). Archived from the original on 9 April 2014.
- Ratnam, Dhamini (23 August 2014). "Society: Why we work". Livemint. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- "Love Sex Aur Dhokha". Box Office India.
- "Dream Girl box office collection day 4: Ayushmann Khurrana starrer declared a hit, his fastest film to cross Rs 50 crore". The Hindustan Times. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "'Marjaavaan': Nushrat Bharucha and Sidharth Malhotra Shoot for a Yo Yo Honey Singh song titled 'Peeyu Datke'". Times of India. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Press Trust of India (10 September 2018). "Rajkummar Rao, Hansal Mehta team up for comedy Turram Khan, Nushrat Bharucha is leading lady". Hindustan Times. HT Media. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Nushrat Bharucha to romance Sunny Kaushal in Hurdang". filmfare.com. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- Ghosh, Raya (14 December 2015). "Big Star Entertainment Awards 2015: Salman, Deepika Are Big Winners". NDTV. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nushrat Bharucha.|