Nutley Public Schools
|Nutley Public Schools|
|315 Franklin Avenue|
Nutley, NJ 07110
|Superintendent||Dr. Julie Glazer|
|Business administrator||Karen Yeamans|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||3,934 (as of 2011-12)|
|District Factor Group||FG|
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "FG", the fourth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards and recognition
NAMM named the district in its 2008 survey of the "Best Communities for Music Education", which included 110 school districts nationwide. The district was also named in NAMM's 2009 survey of the "Best Communities for Music Education", which included 124 school districts nationwide. It also attained this honor in 2010, 2011 and 2013.
Nutley's schools, much like other Essex county communities, compete in various academic competitions on town, county, state, and even national levels. Popular in both the elementary and middle schools is the "Academically Speaking" county competition, which tests knowledge of almost all subjects and pits a carefully selected town-wide team against others from towns such as Bloomfield, Livingston, and Montclair. Nutley's teams have routinely finished in the semi-finals or finals, and their middle school team won for the first time in 2007. It also won the competition in 2012. Nutley also sends two representatives to compete for a spot in the Scripps National Spelling Bee and one for the National Geographic Bee. They have an active "Forensics" program in both the middle and elementary schools, in which talented students dramatize famous fictional works, and finish well in the semi-statewide MathCounts competition, finishing in the top half among some of the top schools in northern New Jersey two years running.
- Elementary schools (K-6)
- Lincoln (480 students). Lincoln was built in 1915, with further construction occurring in 1929. It is located at 301 Harrison Street.
- Radcliffe (354). Located at 379 Bloomfield Avenue, it is the newest elementary school and was built in 1955.
- Spring Garden (367). Located at 59 South Spring Garden Avenue, the school was constructed in 1917 and was added on to in 1927.
- Washington (388). Washington was constructed in 1911, the second oldest elementary school still in use in Nutley. It is located at 155 Washington Avenue.
- Yantacaw (453). Constructed in 1902, it is the oldest of the elementary schools still in use. In 1929, an addition was built to accommodate the growing population of Nutley. It is located at 20 Yantacaw Place.
- Middle school
- John H. Walker Middle School for grades 7 and 8 (599). Located at 325 Franklin Avenue, John H. Walker Middle School served as Nutley's high school until 1959.
- High school
- Nutley High School for grades 9-12 (1,271)
- Dr. Julie Glazer, Superintendent
- Karen Yeamans, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Nutley School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 15, 2014.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 15, 2014.
- Best 100 (101!) Communities for Music Education in America, 2005, American Music Conference. Accessed December 12, 2006.
- "NAMM Foundation Names the 'Best Communities for Music Education'", NAMM, April 30, 2008. Accessed November 13, 2009.
- "Nationwide Survey Finds the 'Best Communities for Music Education' in U.S.", NAMM, April 16, 2009. Accessed November 13, 2009.
- "NAMM Best Communities for Music Education 2013" Archived 2013-05-26 at the Wayback Machine, NAMM. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- "Nutley's Walker Middle School wins competition", Nutley Sun June 14, 2012. Accessed April 3, 2013
- School Data for the Nutley Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed July 31, 2011.
- Schools, Nutley Public School District. Accessed May 19, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Nutley Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- "Lincoln Elementary School". Retrieved June 12, 2006.
- "Radcliffe Elementary School". Retrieved June 12, 2006.
- "Spring Garden Elementary School". Retrieved June 12, 2006.
- "Washington Elementary School". Retrieved June 12, 2006.
- "Yantacaw Elementary School". Retrieved June 12, 2006.
- "Franklin Middle School". Retrieved June 12, 2006.
- Board of Education Members Archived 2010-02-01 at the Wayback Machine, Nutley Board of Education. Accessed May 19, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory for Essex County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Nutley Public Schools
- Nutley Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Nutley Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics