Nvu 1.0 editing Wikipedia main page
|Developer(s)||Linspire, Daniel Glazman|
1.0/ June 28, 2005
|License||MPL, GPL, LGPL|
Nvu (pronounced "N-view") is a WYSIWYG HTML editor, based on the Composer component of the Mozilla Application Suite. It is intended to be an open source alternative to proprietary software like Microsoft Expression Web and Adobe Dreamweaver. As a WYSIWYG editor, it is designed to be easy for novice users, and does not require any knowledge of HTML or CSS to use. It runs on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
Nvu was the brainchild of Kevin Carmony, CEO for Linspire, who wanted an easy-to-use, WYSIWYG HTML editor for Linux users. Under Carmony's direction, Linspire started and sponsored Nvu, hiring Daniel Glazman, former Netscape Communications Corporation employee, to be the lead developer.
As Nvu was discontinued, the Mozilla community has created a fork project, KompoZer.
The original plan in June 2005 was to merge back the numerous changes into Mozilla Composer's source code tree. Since then the Mozilla Suite has been discontinued (then reintroduced as SeaMonkey), and no one has merged the Nvu code back into Composer.
Daniel Glazman announced in September 2006 that he had stopped official development on Nvu, and he would be developing a successor to it. A community-driven fork, KompoZer, has continued the development of Nvu with the support of Mozilla Foundation.
Nvu complies with the W3C's web standards. By default, pages are created in accordance to HTML 4.01 Transitional and use CSS for styling, but the user can change the settings and choose between:
- 0.1 was released on February 4, 2004
- 0.20 was released on March 25, 2004
- 0.3 was released on June 11, 2004
- 0.4 was released on August 10, 2004
- 0.5 was released on October 6, 2004
- 0.6 (1.0b) was pre-released on November 26, 2004
- 0.7 (1.0b2) was pre-released on January 6, 2005
- 0.8 (1.0b3) was pre-released on February 2, 2005
- 0.81 was pre-released on February 9, 2005
- 0.90RC1 was released on March 4, 2005
- 0.90 was released on March 11, 2005
- 1.0PR was released on April 5, 2005
- 1.0 was released on June 28, 2005
- Comparison of HTML editors
- ActiveState Komodo
- List of HTML editors
- Mozilla Composer