Type of site
|Torrent meta-search engine|
|Registration||Optional (currently closed)|
|Part of a series on|
|Video sharing sites|
|File sharing networks|
|Anonymous file sharing|
|History and societal aspects|
|By country or region|
Nyaa Torrents (named for the Japanese onomatopoeia for a cat's meow) is a BitTorrent website focused on East Asian (Japanese, Chinese, and Korean) media. It is one of the largest public anime-dedicated torrent indexes.
In 2011, some users of the site were sued for copyright infringement. The site was a target of a large DDoS attack purportedly originating from the Japanese government in early September 2014.
On 1 May 2017, their .se, .eu, and .org domain names were deactivated, with the site's moderators later confirming that the owner took it down voluntarily. In the following weeks, several forks, partially based on Nyaa code and database of torrents, were started, each using "nyaa" in its name.
In the official FAQ posted by the community that surrounded Nyaa, it is said that some data between 2016 and May 2017 was lost, and there was not a reputable backup of the Nyaa database for that time period.
In June 2017, TorrentFreak reported that Germany-based Goodlabs put up a fake version of the .eu site in an attempt to get users to download malware. The website encouraged users to download a "free binary client" in an attempt to gain access to the victim's computer.
In April 2018, Cloudflare terminated its services to Nyaa. According to Cloudflare, "The pirate site tried to interfere with and thwart the operation of the company's abuse reporting systems."
In 2020 the site was blocked in India, along with other pirate streaming and torrent websites, after a decision by the Delhi High Court in favour of the plaintiff, Disney India. The court order provided for "dynamic" blocking meaning that Disney could ask for further bans on websites violating copyrights other than the ones in the order.
In June 2021, Verizon Fios blocked the website.
In an effort to provide security and to help users access the site, Nyaa released an announcement with recommendations on how to unblock their website. The announcement also warns users against the use of proxy sites, as they can potentially steal information or serve malware.
As of December 2022[update], the .si fork is the only fork remaining.
The site has video source rules, for example, DVD video is limited to 1024×576, while UHD is limited to an upwards of 3840×2160p. This is for maintaining the original quality of the video.
Users cannot add watermarks, or lower the quality to a worse video codec. "Shitposting" consistently may result in a ban. Content restrictions include having only content from China, Japan, and Korea.
Categories are split into Anime, Audio, Literature, Live Action, Pictures, and Software. Each have their own subcategories, for example Audio is split in lossless and lossy.
Users can also use Filters, which filter out the torrents to no remakes and trusted (uploaders) only.
Uploads are split into green, red, orange, and grey entries. Green entries are torrents uploaded by trusted users. Red entries (remake) are torrents that match any of the following:
- Reencode of original release.
- Remux of another uploader's original release for hardsubbing or fixing purposes.
- Reupload of original release using non-original file names.
- Reupload of original release with missing or unrelated additional files.
Orange entries are batches of entire series, and grey entries are hidden torrents.
- ^ Singh, Rana Iqbal (2016-07-30). "KickAss Proxy 2016: Think Twice Before Considering These Alternative Sites". www.thebitbag.com. Archived from the original on 2017-08-16. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- ^ Van der Sar, Ernesto (2017-01-07). "Top 10 Most Popular Torrent Sites of 2017". TorrentFreak. Archived from the original on 2020-04-07. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- ^ Van der Sar, Ernesto (2011-01-26). "Anime Distributor Launches Piracy Assault, Sues 1337 BitTorrent Users". TorrentFreak. torrentfreak.com. Archived from the original on 2020-11-27. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
... The complaint specifically mentions the BitTorrent sites isohunt.com, kickasstorrents.com and nyaatorrents.org as potentially playing a role in the sharing process. ...
- ^ Harbison, Cammy. "Nyaa Anime Torrents Still Down: File-Sharing Site Has Been Offline For 5 Days, But Japanese Government Isn't Likely The Culprit". iDigitalTimes. idigitaltimes.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.[permanent dead link]
- ^ Van der Sar, Ernesto (2017-05-02). "Anime Torrent Site NYAA Goes Down After Domain Name Deactivation". TorrentFreak. torrentfreak.com. Archived from the original on 2017-05-02. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- ^ "Major anime torrenting site 'NYAA' goes offline". technology.inquirer.net. 2017-05-04. Archived from the original on 2017-05-04. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- ^ "Spread the word: Nyaa is down, use magnet links » HorribleSubs". horriblesubs.info. 2017-05-01. Archived from the original on 2019-03-29. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- ^ "Nyaa Anime Torrents". torrents.me. 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-06-09.
- ^ "NYAAPOCALYPSE FAQ - Pastebin.com". archive.fo. 2017-05-04. Archived from the original on 2017-05-04. Retrieved 2021-01-18.
- ^ Van der Sar, Ernesto (2017-06-24). "Scammers Pick Up NYAA Torrents Domain Name". TorrentFreak. Archived from the original on 2019-07-14. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
Just a few weeks after the domain names of anime torrent site NYAA were deactivated, one of them is back in action. However, the domain no longer belongs to the old crew, but to scammers who are trying to lure irreproachable users into downloading harmful content.
- ^ "Cloudflare Kicks Out Torrent Site For Abuse Reporting Interference". TorrentFreak. 2018-04-20. Archived from the original on 2022-04-16. Retrieved 2022-04-16.
- ^ "Disney Obtains New 'Dynamic' Court Order to Block 118 'Pirate' Domains". TorrentFreak. Archived from the original on 2022-09-01. Retrieved 2022-09-01.
- ^ "Why is Verizon Blocking Pirate Sites Such as NYAA and Mangadex?". TorrentFreak. Archived from the original on 2022-12-07. Retrieved 2023-03-20.
- ^ "Nyaa.si announcement about proxy sites". Nyaatorrents.info. Archived from the original on 2023-03-03. Retrieved 2023-03-06.
- ^ a b "Rules". Nyaa. Archived from the original on 2022-06-07. Retrieved 2022-04-16.
- ^ "Help". Nyaa. Archived from the original on 2022-06-07. Retrieved 2022-04-16.