Murray Valley Highway at Nyah
|Population||483 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Rural City of Swan Hill|
|State electorate(s)||Murray Plains|
Nyah is a town in northern Victoria, Australia. The town is located on the Murray Valley Highway, in the Rural City of Swan Hill local government area, 365 kilometres (227 mi) north west of the state capital, Melbourne. At the 2011 census, Nyah had a population of 483.
The town, on the banks of the Murray River was formed as the "Taverner Community Village Settlement" in the 1890s by Jim Thwaites as a utopian socialist community, one of many established along the Murray, including Waikerie in South Australia. The communities were established in imitation of the New Australia settlement of William Lane in Paraguay. Lack of access to water for fields and a falling-out of favour of socialism led to the end of state support for these communities.
The Post Office opened on 4 May 1894 (though known as Tyntynder for some months) 
The town in conjunction with neighbouring township Nyah West (after a merger of the Nyah and Nyah West football clubs) has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Central Murray Football League known as Nyah-Nyah West United.
Golfers play at the course of the Nyah District Golf Club on the Murray Valley Highway.
|Climate data for Nyah, Victoria|
|Average rainfall inches||0.843||0.894||0.878||0.878||1.248||1.228||1.201||1.256||1.193||1.268||1.083||0.976||12.894|
|Average rainfall mm||21.4||22.7||22.3||22.3||31.7||31.2||30.5||31.9||30.3||32.2||27.5||24.8||327.5|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Nyah (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Adams, Victoria; Wallace, Simon (2005-02-25). "New Australia, Cosme and Nyah". Australian Broadcasting Corporation Mildura Swan Hill. Retrieved 2007-06-04.[dead link]
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- Full Points Footy, Nyah-Nyah West, archived from the original on 20 November 2008, retrieved 2008-07-25
- Australian Harness Racing, Nyah, retrieved 2009-05-11
- Golf Select, Nyah District, retrieved 2009-05-11
- "Monthly Rainfall - 076046 - Bureau of Meteorology". Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
Media related to Nyah, Victoria at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in the Mallee is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|