Mkoa wa Nyanza
|No. of Counties:||6|
|• Total||12,477.1 km2 (4,817.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Nyanza Province (Kenyan English: [ˈɲaːnzə]; Swahili: Mkoa wa Nyanza) was one of Kenya's eight administrative provinces before the formation of the 47 counties under the 2010 constitution. Six counties were organised in the area of the former province.
The region is located in the southwest part of Kenya around Lake Victoria, includes part of the eastern edge of Lake Victoria, and is inhabited predominantly by the Luo people and Kisii people. There are also Bantu-speaking tribes, such as the Kuria, and some Luhya, living in the province. The province derives its name from Nyanza, a Bantu word which means a large mass of water.
The provincial capital was Kisumu, the third-largest city in Kenya. The province had a population of 4,392,196 at the 1999 census within an area of 16.162 km², or 12.613 km² of land.
The climate is tropical humid.
The following counties make up the area of the former Nyanza province:
|Code||County||Former Province||Area (km2)||Population
|43||Homa Bay||Nyanza||3,154.7||963,794||Homa Bay|
Districts after 2007
Several new districts were created in 2007 in Kenya, also in Nyanza Province:
|Homa Bay||Homa Bay|
|Kisumu East||Kisumu town|
|Kuria West District||Kehancha|
|Kuria East District||Kegonga|
Other languages include Luhya, Kuria, Suba and the national languages of English and Swahili. Other languages from the many Kenyan communities are also spoken in small pockets by migrants from these communities.
- Tom Mboya, politician and former minister
- Simeon Nyachae was a Kenyan politician and businessman from Kisii County.
- Barack Obama Sr. was born in Nyanza Province. Economist with the government, he was educated in the United States, in Hawaii and Massachusetts. He was the father of the President Barack Obama (2009-2017) of the United States, who was born in Hawaii.
- Jaramogi Oginga Odinga, independence fighter and socialist politician
- Raila Odinga, son of Jaramogi Oginga Odinga, is a politician and the leader of Opposition in Kenya.
- Bethwell Allan Ogot is a renowned historian and academician.
- Achieng Oneko, independence fighter and socialist politician
- Robert Ouko, politician and former minister
- James Orengo is a Kenyan lawyer, a well known human rights activist and a prominent politician who is the current senator for Siaya County.
- Prof. Sammy Ongeri, second kisii County senator and former MP Nyaribari Madaba
- Elijah Marube, Environmental consultant and an industrialist
- Andrew John Omanga, former minister and Ambassador, Second MP Nyaribari Chache
- James Nyamweya, MP Nyaribari Chache and one of the first Ministers in first Government.
- Samson Mwita Marwa, MP
Villages and settlements
- Bar Olengo
- Homa Lime Kowuor
- Lady Whitehouse
- Mohanda Arunde
- Musa Nyandisi
- Ngiri, Kenya
- https://web.archive.org/web/20060820152345/http://www.yale.edu/swahili/ Swahili- English translation
- Kisii Language - Kisii English- Ekegusii translation