O'Reilly Open Source Convention
|O'Reilly Open Source Convention|
|Genre||Open Source (mainly software)|
|Location(s)||Portland, Oregon (exceptions)|
|Organized by||O'Reilly Media|
The O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON) is an annual convention for the discussion of free and open source software. It is organized by the publisher O'Reilly Media and is held each summer in the United States.
- Notable events
- OSCON grew out of The Perl Conference, but the amount of Perl content has continued to decline year over year.
- The OpenOffice.org open source project was announced at the 2000 conference in Monterey.
- The OpenStack open source project was launched at the 2010 conference.
- OSCON has been the host to Larry Wall's State of the Onion keynotes.
||This section possibly contains original research. (January 2015)|
OSCON has many items of interest for the duration of the conference. Throughout the week in which it is hosted, there are various tutorials and presentations, most of which are conducted in meeting rooms. These topics are focused on the use and development of upcoming and current pieces of open source software, although there are usually a few topics regarding the open source community itself. In the past few years, main topics have been related to cloud computing, distributed computing, virtualization, minimizing downtime, big data, and information technology. Certain sessions are sponsored by companies and are therefore free for all attendees to take part in.
Outside of the sessions, OSCON usually also organizes various parties at which attendees may network and unwind. Many of these parties are sponsored, with some parties even being held at particular companies' facilities throughout the city.
Arguably, the biggest portion of OSCON is the OSCON expo, where vendors and other organizations show off their latest innovations, have smaller and shorter tutorials, give away keepsakes ("swag"), and talk to attendees about their products or any questions that attendees may have. Some companies that have had larger booths in the past few years include Linode, Rackspace, HP, Bluehost, and Microsoft.
Finally, tables are usually set outside of the meeting rooms, for attendees to relax and work at. A sponsored "hack zone" is also set up just outside the Expo Hall, where attendees may utilize fast networking, power strips, and chair-packed round tables to hack, socialize, and take a break. Through the main hallway, there is usually a large black box of sorts, upon which three surfaces are exposed. Affectionately known by attendees as "The Chalkboard", logos, slogans, names, ideas, and other marks are often scrawled onto by attendees using chalk provided in nearby cans.
|2016||Austin, TX||May 16-19, 2016|
|2015||Portland, OR||July 20–24, 2015|
|2014||Portland, OR||July 20–24, 2014|
|2013||Portland, OR||July 22–26, 2013|
|2012||Portland, OR||July 16–20, 2012|
|2011||Portland, OR||July 25–29, 2011|
|2010||Portland, OR||July 19–23, 2010|
|2009||San Jose, CA||July 20–24, 2009|
|2008||Portland, OR||July 21–25, 2008|
|2007||Portland, OR||July 23–27, 2007|
|2006||Portland, OR||July 24–28, 2006|
|2005||Portland, OR||August 1–5, 2005|
|2004||Portland, OR||July 26–30, 2004|
|2003||Portland, OR||July 7–11, 2003|
|2002||San Diego, CA||July 22–26, 2002|
|2001||San Diego, CA||July 22–26, 2001|
|2000||Monterey, CA||July 17–20, 2000|
|1999||Monterey, CA||August 21–24, 1999|
- "OSCON Celebrates 10th Year: Annual O'Reilly Open Source Convention Opens Registration and Announces Program". 2008-04-15. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Perl Foundation Conferences". YAPC.
- Phipps, Simon (18 October 2006). "Birthday Presents". Blogs.Sun.Com. Sun Microsystems. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "OpenStack Launch Bash". O'Reilly Media. 20 July 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- Guido van Rossum (2000-01-27). "Call for Participation: Open Source Convention in Monterey (July)". python.org.
- Official website, oscon.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Open Source Convention.|
|This article about a computer conference is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|