|Single by A. R. Rahman and M.I.A.|
|from the album Slumdog Millionaire: Music from the Motion Picture|
|Released||November 24, 2008|
|Recorded||2008; Panchathan Record Inn and AM Studios (Chennai, India)|
|Songwriter(s)||A. R. Rahman, M.I.A.|
Rahman got interested in M.I.A. after listening to her debut album, and upon meeting Rahman the singer said she was a big fan of his work. Director Danny Boyle suggested M.I.A. work with Rahman on a piece for the score of the film. The song was then composed through continuous e-mailing between Rahman in India and M.I.A. in England. According to the digital music sheet published at musicnotes.com, the song is written in the key of B minor, with a moderately fast tempo.
The song was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 81st Academy Awards, but eventually lost to the song "Jai Ho", also from Slumdog Millionaire. M.I.A. said the nomination was an honor, stating "Maybe I can afford to book Dave Chappelle at the baby shower now." At the awards ceremony, the song was performed by Rahman, surrounded by dancers and taiko drums.
The song was featured during the 2009 NFL Draft.
|Canadian Hot 100||68|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||93|
- Mark Slutsky (December 11, 2009). "Making it in Mumbai". Montreal Mirror.
- "Composer A.R. Rahman on the Sounds of ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ and Being M.I.A.’s Idol". New York. 2008-11-12. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Digital Sheet Music, M.I.A. - 'O, Saya'". Musicnotes.com. Peer International Music Publishing. 2009. SC0128549 (Product Number).
- Cohen, Jonathan (22 January 2009). "'Slumdog, 'WALL-E' Lead Oscar Music Nominees". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 23 February 2009.
- "M.I.A. Responds to Oscar Nod: "I Can Afford to Book Dave Chappelle at the Baby Shower Now"". Rolling Stone. 2009-01-23. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "'Slumdog Millionaire' Sweeps Music Oscars". Billboard. 2009-02-23. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- Ben-Yehuda, Ayala. "Soulja Boy Climbs Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 5 March 2009. Retrieved 9 March 2009.
- "M.I.A. > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 18 February 2009.