O'Shaughnessy Dam (Ohio)
O'Shaughnessy Dam and Bridge
View below the dam
|Location||Concord Township / Liberty Township, Delaware County, Ohio, USA|
|Nearest city||Shawnee Hills, Ohio|
|Built by||Thompson-Starrett Co.|
|Architect||Packard, Franklin L.|
|Architectural style||Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals, Classical Revival, Second Renaissance Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||90000482|
|Added to NRHP||July 5, 1990|
The O'Shaughnessy Dam is located on the Scioto River near Dublin, Ohio, United States. The dam forms O'Shaughnessy Reservoir, which is a major source of drinking water for the city of Columbus. It was completed in 1925 following recommendations of then superintendent Jerry O'Shaughnessy (for whom the dam was named). At the time, the reservoir was described as "the finest inland waterway in the United States." Located 10 miles (16 km) upstream of the smaller Griggs Dam, it provides a large area for various forms of recreation in addition to its water supply duties. The reservoir holds 6.3 billion US gallons (24,000,000 m3) over a surface area of 845 acres (3.42 km2). The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is located on the east bank of the reservoir, near the dam.
The city of Columbus installed a hydroelectric operation on the west side of the dam, which was completed in 1987. The turbines can only be operated when there is sufficient flow, which means the dam cannot continuously produce electricity. With a head of 18 feet (5.5 m), the two turbines together produce 5 megawatts.
Despite numerous repair attempts the Hydroelectric Turbines have remained offline for approximately 3 years. It is unknown when, if ever, their operation will resume.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Cross, Tom (2008). Fishing Ohio: An Angler's Guide to Over 200 Fishing Spots in the Buckeye State. Globe Pequot Press. p. 58. ISBN 978-0-7627-4326-1.
- "Water Sources". Department of Public Utilities (City of Columbus, Ohio): Division of Water. Archived from the original on 2006-10-08. Retrieved 2006-10-28.
- "2005 Annual Report" (PDF). Department of Public Utilities (City of Columbus, Ohio). Retrieved 2006-10-28.
- "Green Power: Turning Water Into Electricity - O'Shaughnessy Hydroelectric Plant". Department of Public Utilities (City of Columbus, Ohio): Division of Water. Archived from the original on 2006-10-09. Retrieved 2006-10-28.
- "Hydropower". Green Energy Ohio. Retrieved 2006-10-28.
- "Hydroelectricity". Office of the Ohio Consumers' Counsel. Archived from the original on 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2006-10-29.