O'Sullivan Beach, South Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
|Population||1,965 (2006 census)|
|LGA(s)||City of Onkaparinga|
O'Sullivan Beach is a seaside suburb in the southern Adelaide metropolitan area, within the City of Onkaparinga. O'Sullivan Beach has a unique postcode of 5166.
The very first development to occur along the coast of O'Sullivan Beach can be traced back to pre-colonization times, almost 40,000 years ago. The Aboriginal Kaurna people used the coastal area of O'Sullivan Beach as a place for seasonal residence. In particular the mouth of Christie Creek was used as a Kaurna campsite. Christie Creek was also one of the last recorded sites where traditional burial practices were observed.
An area of surveyed land covering Glenelg to Witton Bluff (Christies Beach) known as District B, was made available for settlement in 1838. Many farmers took plots of land along the Anderson Creek (now known as Christies Creek). The entire area remained a land of farming communities until 1923. This is when Rosa Christie created the first subdivision in the area, it was named Christies Beach. In 1926 the suburb of O'Sullivan Beach was subdivided by a group developers - F.E. Wakelin, W.A. Hill, D.B. Neck and F.L. Lillecrap - the developers named the suburb after Ignatius O’Sullivan who arrived from Ireland and settled in this area in 1840.
The O'Sullivan Beach suburb was developed to provide housing to accompany the development of the Lonsdale industrial development and the adjacent Port Stanvac oil refinery facility.
The suburb of O’Sullivan Beach was further developed as a public housing estate in the 1960s and 1970s by the South Australian Housing Trust. However, most of these homes have subsequently become privately owned.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "O'Sullivan Beach (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Southern Adelaide SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Search result for "County of Adelaide, CNTY" with the following data sets selected - "Counties" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "District of Reynell Background Profile". ELECTORAL COMMISSION SA. 2014.
- "City of Onkaparinga suburb boundaries map". City of Onkaparinga. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2014.[permanent dead link]
- City of Onkaparinga. (2001) O'Sullivans Beach Precinct 
- City of Onkaparinga. O'sullivans Beach - European history and heritage 
|This article about a place in Adelaide is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|