O. Vincent Haleck
|O. Vincent Haleck|
|Second Quorum of the Seventy|
|April 2, 2011|
|Called by||Thomas S. Monson|
|Born||Otto Vincent Haleck, Jr.
January 19, 1949
Utulei, American Samoa, United States
Otto Vincent Haleck, Jr. (born January 19, 1949) has been a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) since 2011. He is the first person from American Samoa or Samoa to become a general authority of the LDS Church and is also the first non–New Zealander from the Pacific Islands in this position.
Haleck was born in Utulei, American Samoa. At the age of 10 he was sent to Seattle, Washington to live with a relative and attend school. He moved to California to live with other relatives and to attend high school and at the age of 17 he joined the LDS Church. After high school, Haleck became a missionary in the church's Samoa Apia Mission from 1968 to 1970. In 1972, he married Peggy Ann Cameron in the Provo Utah Temple and they are the parents of three children.
In the LDS Church, Haleck has served as a bishop, high councilor, stake patriarch, and stake president. He served as president of the Samoa Apia Mission from 2008 to 2011 and was in that capacity when he was called as a general authority and member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy in April 2011. After becoming a general authority, Haleck moved from Pago Pago, American Samoa to Salt Lake City, Utah. From the time of his call to August 2013, he filled assignments at church headquarters. In August 2013, he was called to serve in the presidency of the church's Pacific Area, an assignment that will continue through 2014. In this position, Haleck supervises the church's school system in Kiribati.
- "Haleck receives high calling", Samoa Observer, 2011-04-17.[dead link]
- "Area Leadership Assignments, 2013", Church News (Deseret News), 25 May 2013.
- "Area Leadership Assignments, 2014", Church News (Deseret News), 3 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Jeffrey Goldberg, "Drowning Kiribati", Bloomberg Businessweek, 2013-11-21.
- "Samoan Church Leader, Elder O. Vincent Haleck, Returns to Pacific", Samoa Observer, 2013-06-04
- "Otto Vincent Haleck – Man on a mission", Samoa Observer, 2011-01-03.[dead link]
- "Pacific Area Latter-day Saints Called to Leadership" (Press release). Scoop News. 2011-04-04.
- Jason Swensen, "Elder O. Vincent Haleck: Lord's hand evident in leader's life", Church News (Deseret News), 2011-06-25.
- "Elder Vincent O. Haleck", Liahona (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), May 2011.
- "New mission presidents", Church News (Deseret News), 2008-03-01.