OK Kosher Certification
OK Kosher Certification is one of the major kosher certification agencies.
In 1968, Rabbi Bernard Levy purchased OK Labs. He was already involved in kosher certification several years prior to the purchase. At the time, it was certifying a relatively small number of companies, but under his leadership, the organization began to grow, certifying companies internationally. Rabbi Levy instituted several improvements in the methods employed by kosher certifying agencies to verify the nature of products. Until then, many ingredients of products were assumed to be kosher, without visiting the company of each one. His policy was to travel to each company to see how the production was done first-hand. This led him to further investigate other companies, as many ingredients were composed of other sub-ingredients. As the organization grew, and the workload increased, Rabbi Levy's son, Rabbi Don Yoel Levy, joined the OK to help expand the organization.
With more than 10 million consumers seeking kosher products in the United States alone, the kosher food industry has seen rapid growth in the past two decades, with sales reaching $165 billion in 2002. Today the OK Certifies over 140,000 products, produced by over 1500 companies worldwide, including food giants such as Kraft, Snapple, and ConAgra. It employs over 350 Rabbis worldwide.
Besides giving Kosher Certification, the OK actively promotes education and observance of kosher laws and attitudes. There are many books written on the subject, while most popular are the Kosher approved recipes.
In 2015, Kehilla Kosher from Los Angeles merged with OK Kosher.
The agency often expands its supervision of restaurants, mainly located in New York.
- "Leadership Archive - OK Kosher Certification". OK Kosher Certification. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Corporate Profile". Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "Rabbi Don Yoel Levy". www.torahcafe.com. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "You Don't Have to Be Jewish to Eat Kosher - OK Kosher Certification". Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Values & Mission - OK Kosher Certification". Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- Kosher Challah – Bread Recipes. Zomick's Bakery. 2013-10-09. ISBN 978-1-365-35568-4.
- "OK Kosher". The Jewish Week | Connecting The World To Jewish News, Culture & Opinion. 2015-04-29. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Chabad-Controlled OK Kosher Gets Sole Control Over .Kosher Domain Names, Despite Objections From OU And Many Other American Kosher Supervisors". FailedMessiah.com. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "KEHILLA KOSHER MERGES WITH OK KOSHER - Kosherquest.org - Online Kashrus Information". 2015-11-06. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "NYC's Great American Health Bar Now Under "OK" Kosher Supervision". Retrieved 2016-08-26.