|Traded as||NASDAQ: ON|
|Products||power and signal management, logic, discrete, and custom solutions|
|Revenue||$3.162 billion USD (2014)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||Energy Efficient Innovations|
ON Semiconductor is a Fortune 1000 semiconductors supplier company. Products include power and signal management, logic, discrete, and custom devices for automotive, communications, computing, consumer, industrial, LED lighting, medical, military/aerospace and power applications. ON Semiconductor runs a network of manufacturing facilities, sales offices and design centers in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific regions. Headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, ON Semiconductor has revenues of $3.162 billion (2014), which puts it among the worldwide top 20 semiconductor sales leaders.
ON Semiconductor was founded in 1999. The company was originally a spinoff of Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector. It continues to manufacture Motorola's discrete, standard analog and standard logic devices.
- In April 2000, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Cherry Semiconductor.
- In May 2006, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of LSI Logic Gresham, Oregon Design & Manufacturing Facility.
- In January 2008, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of the CPU Voltage and PC Thermal Monitoring Business from Analog Devices, Inc., for $184 million.
- In March 2008, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of AMI Semiconductor for $915 million.
- On July 17, 2008, ON Semiconductor Corporation and Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. announced the acquisition of Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. by ON Semiconductor Corporation for $115 million. On October 9, 2008, Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. announced the approval of the acquisition. On October 10, 2008, ON Semiconductor Corporation announced the completion of the acquisition.
- In November 2009, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of PulseCore for $17M.
- In December 2009, ON Semiconductor announced the acquisition of California Micro Devices.
- In June 2010, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Sound Design Technologies, Ltd., for $22 million.
- In January 2011, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of SANYO Semiconductor.
- In February 2011, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of the CMOS Image Sensor Business Unit from Cypress Semiconductor, for $31.4 million
- In May 2014, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Truesense Imaging, Inc.
- In June 2014, ON Semiconductor announced a $400 million deal to acquire California-based Aptina Imaging Corp.
- In July 2014, ON Semiconductor and Fujitsu Semiconductor announced Strategic Partnership (including foundry services agreement and the definitive agreement pursuant to which ON Semiconductor will become a 10% shareholder of Fujitsu’s 8-inch wafer fab in Aizu-Wakamatsu, Japan)
- In July 2015, ON Semiconductor completed the acquisition of Axsem AG.
- In November 2015, ON Semiconductor announced the acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor.
- In June 2016, ON Semiconductor announced that it had extended its previously announced tender offer to purchase all of the outstanding shares of common stock of Fairchild Semiconductor International Inc.
ON Semiconductor manufactures a variety of products in the following areas:
- Custom: ASICs; Custom Foundry Services; Custom ULP Memory; Custom CMOS Image Sensors; Integrated Passive Devices
- Discrete: Bipolar Transistors; Diodes & Rectifiers; IGBTs & FETs; Thyristors
- Power Management: AC/DC Controllers & Regulators; DC-DC Controllers, Converters, & Regulators; Drivers; Thermal Management; Voltage & Current Management
- Logic: Clock Generation; Clock & Data Distribution; Memory; Microcontrollers; Standard Logic
- Signal Management: Amplifiers & Comparators; Analog Switches; Audio/Video ASSP; Digital Potentiometers; EMI/RFI Filters; Interfaces; Optical, Image, & Touch Sensors
In 2013, the company introduced the industry's highest resolution optical image stabilization (OIS) integrated circuit (IC) for smartphone camera modules.
The company has four segments:
- Application Products Group (APG)
- Image Sensor Group (ISG)
- Standard Products Group (SPG)
- System Solutions Group (SSG).
Solution engineering centers
- United States: San Jose, California; Portland, Oregon
- Germany: Munich
- South Korea: Seoul
- China: Shanghai
- Taiwan: Taipei
- Japan: Osaka, Tokyo
- Slovakia: Piešťany
- United States: Phoenix, Arizona; Santa Clara, California; Longmont, Colorado; Pocatello, Idaho; Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania; East Greenwich, Rhode Island; Austin, Texas; Plano, Texas; Lindon, Utah
- Canada: Burlington; Waterloo
- Belgium: Mechelen; Oudenaarde
- Czech Republic: Brno; Rožnov pod Radhoštěm
- France: Toulouse
- Germany: Munich
- Ireland: Limerick
- Romania: Bucharest
- Slovak Republic: Bratislava
- Switzerland: Marin
- China: Shanghai
- India: Bangalore; Noida
- Japan: Aizu; Gifu; Gunma
- South Korea: Seoul
- Philippines: Tarlac City
- Taiwan: Taipei
- Canada: Burlington
- United States: Pocatello, Idaho; Gresham, Oregon, former manufacturing facility at the East Greenwich design facility, Nampa, Idaho. Formerly Aptina Imaging
- Belgium: Oudenaarde
- Czech Republic: Rožnov pod Radhoštěm
- China: Leshan; Shenzhen
- Japan: Gunma; Hanyu; Niigata
- Malaysia: Senawang, Negeri Sembilan
- Philippines: Carmona; Tarlac City
- Vietnam: Thuan An, Binh Duong; Bien Hoa, Dong Nai
- In 2012, ON Semiconductor won the IR Magazine U.S. Awards in three fields, Best IR by a CEO or chairman for mid cap; NO.56 best company in the U.S. in terms of Investor Relations; No. 3 in Best Investor Relations in technology sector for mid/small cap companies.
- In 2012, based on the company’s efforts in semiconductor, it won the Large Company of the Year Award by IEEE.
- ON Semiconductor won The hot 100 Electronic products of 2012 and 2009 by EDN magazine.
- In 2000, ON Semiconductor won the Forbes Advertising Excellence best in category Industrial Machinery/Electrical Components.
The company's subsidiary AMI Semiconductor (AMIS) has also won many awards, such as President's Award and Preferred Supplier from Rockwell Collins, Strategic Supplier Award from Emerson Rosemount, Inc., Outstanding Technical Support in New Product Development from Alliant Techsystems.
- Freescale Semiconductor, another Motorola semiconductor spinoff
- List of semiconductor fabrication plants
- 2014 Annual Report
- "Corporate History" (PDF).
- ON Semiconductor to Acquire Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. in an All-Stock Transaction
- Catalyst Semiconductor Stockholders Approve Acquisition of Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. by ON Semiconductor Corporation
- US SEC FORM 8-K Commission File Number 0-21488
- ON Semiconductor Corporation Completes Acquisition of Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc.
- By Shrutika Verma, Reuters. “UPDATE 2-ON Semi to buy California Micro Devices for $108 mln.” December 14, 2009. March 18, 2016.
- By everythingRF. “ON Semiconductor to Acquire Fairchild Semiconductor for $2.4 Billion.” November 19, 2015. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- By Sam Davis, Power Electronics. “Fairchild Semiconductor Moves ON.” November 30, 2015. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- By Staff, Reuters. “BRIEF-On Semiconductor extends tender offer to acquire Fairchild Semiconductor.” June 10, 2016. June 10, 2016.
- "ON Semiconductor Introduces Advanced Optical Image Stabilization Solution for Smartphone Camera Modules".
- "Business Summary".
- "IR Magazine US Awards 2012".
- "ON Semiconductor Corporate Awards".
- "EDN Hot 100 products of 2012: Power and optoelectronics".