|Headquarters||North Hollywood, California|
George Schaeffer, CEO/PresidentSuzi Weiss-Fischmann, Executive VP/Artistic Director
Number of employees
OPI, originally named Odontorium Products Inc., was a small dental supply company purchased by George Schaeffer in 1981. Shortly after taking over the company, Schaeffer was joined by Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI’s Executive Vice President and Artistic Director. Schaeffer and Weiss-Fischmann partnered with R. Eric Montgomery, a biochemist, and created an acrylic system that Schaeffer sold door-to-door to local nail salons. They closed the dental sales and focused entirely on nail products changing the name to OPI Products Inc.
In 1989, OPI expanded its portfolio to nail lacquers and later other products. In 2003, OPI created a Legally Blonde 2 collection that was also featured in the film. Collaborations that have followed include Ford Mustang, the 2010 film Alice in Wonderland, and Dell (2009).
In 2003, OPI launched a nail polish line for dogs called Pawlish that received mixed reviews. In 2007, after pressure from the EPA and the organization Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, OPI reformulated its nail lacquers and eliminated chemicals DBP (dibutyl phthalate), formaldehyde and toluene.
Schaeffer established the Schaeffer Family Foundation to offer aid to organizations such as the Leukemia Research Foundation, Rock the Vote and Project Hope International, among many others. After such disasters as 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, OPI employees banded together and raised $350,000 for the American Red Cross. OPI created exclusive lacquers shades for the Lung Cancer Foundation of America, the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross. Since 2006, OPI has supported the breast cancer awareness organization Susan G. Komen for the Cure, with its exclusive shade series, Pink of Hearts.
||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
OPI has teamed up with various celebrities in order to sell their products to a specific niche. The collections are named after the artist and expresses their work and personality. Justin Bieber, a Canadian singer, was one of the first to release a celebrity nail polish collection for OPI. In 2010, his "One Less Lonely Girl" collection was under their drugstore brand, Nicole by OPI, and was sold exclusively in Wal-Mart stores. The Justin Bieber collection sold out in 3,000 Wal-Mart stores in January 2011 and also released in other stores like Target, Sears, and ULTA Beauty.
Singer Katy Perry had created her own collection by OPI, which was released in January 2011. They featured 5 shades in this collection, all named after Katy's hit singles like "Teenage Dream" and "Last Friday Night". They featured a new nail polish called "Shatter", which gave a crackle/shatter look when painted on top of the nail polish. The "shatter" became very popular. Later in the year, other nail polish brands like Sally Hansen and China Glaze had released their own "crackle" for their local drugstore consumers to purchase. According to MTV Style, the Katy Perry collection was one of the Best Celebrity Endorsed Products of 2011.
Also in January 2011, Serena Williams, a tennis star, released her own collection called "Glam Slam". The collection release dates were timed to the start of her four major tennis tournaments - Australia Open in January, French Open in May, Wimbledon in June, and U.S. Open in August. The "Glam Slam" collection even featured the popular "crackle" polish, which was also in the Katy Perry collection.[unreliable source?]
In October 2012, it was announced that singer and actress Selena Gomez had collaborated with Nicole by O.P.I to launch a new collection. Consisting of 14 different colours and sparkles, Gomez created shades that would be easy to mix and match particularly for the upcoming spring season. Gomez stated that the colours were selected to suit her classic, simple and elegant style. Each colour was titled something that related to the star’s hit songs, like “Hit the Lights” and “Love Song” and ranged from a bright yellow to a deep, rich plum purple. The collection was available for sale in January 2013.
In Spring 2013, the company partnered with singer Mariah Carey. With glittery and shiny shades in the collection, OPI had released a new nail technology, the "Liquid Sand" formula, a jelly-based glitter that dries matte. The "Liquid Sand" formula is the first of its kind and was featured in the "007 The Bond Girls" collection by OPI, which was released later in the year.
OPI had partnered up with The Muppets and released a nail polish collection for their new movie in November 2011. Based on the ABC Family television show, Modern Family, Nicole by OPI and Twentieth Century Fox had partnered up and released their own collection for Nicole by OPI in late December 2011. The nail polish shades in the collection features many colours and also incorporates the characters' name in every colour.
- Lu-Lien Tan, Cheryl (2003-07-06). "Clothes Encounters; As the fashion world grows more aggressive about marketing clothes in movies, some wonder if hot films are beginning to resemble stylish ads". The Baltimore Sun. p. 1.N.
- Fierro, Dina (2009-12-24). "OPI goes through the looking glass". The Gloss. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Industry Leaders Dell and OPI Partner to Deliver a New, Polished Laptop Collection". Reuters. 2009-10-07. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Donaldson-Evans, Catherine (2003-09-23). "Pups Panting for "Pawlished" Nails". Fox News. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- / statement
- joint statement
- "OPI Donates More Than $300,000 to Hurricane Katrina Survivors". NAILS Magazine. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Salapatek, Lauren (2010-09-10). "Pink of Hearts for Charity". Modern Salon. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- Grundy, Kim (2011-07-01) http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/822080/justin-bieber-nail-polish-line-selling-out. Retrieved 2013-08-13
- Mahlmeister, Chrissy (2011-19-12) http://style.mtv.com/2011/12/19/celebrity-products-2011/. Retrieved 2013-8-13
- Nolan, Lizanne (2011-21-01) http://voices.yahoo.com/are-belieber-opis-must-see-celebrity-collections-7670228.html. Retrieved 2013-13-08
- internhl. "Selena Gomez’s Fab Nicole By OPI Nail Polish Line: Get The Details - Hollywood Life". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Mismas, Michelle (2013-04-03) http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2013/03/mariah-carey-opi-spring-2013-nail-polish-collection-swatches-review.html#.Ugpw6G3hfUI. Retrieved 2013-13-08
- Brown, Rachael (2013-13-08) http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/color-me-carrie-7086154. Retrieved 2013-14-08
- "Coca-Cola Company".
- Kelly (2013-15-01) http://www.vampyvarnish.com/2013/01/nicole-opi-modern-family-collection-swatches-review. Retrieved 2013-08-13