This article needs to be updated.(April 2017)
2001 (company founded) |
2004 (globally registered)
|Founder||Chen Mingyong (陈明永)|
|Headquarters||Dongguan, Guangdong, China|
|Chen Mingyong (陈明永) (CEO)|
|Products||Hi-fi, home theatre, Audio-Visual, smartphones|
|Literal meaning||Guangdong Oppo Mobile Communications Co., Ltd.|
Oppo Electronics Corporation, commonly referred to as Oppo, is a Chinese consumer electronics and mobile communication company, known for its smartphones, Blu-ray players and other electronic devices. A leading manufacturer of smartphones, Oppo was the top smartphone brand in China in 2016 and was ranked No. 4 worldwide.
The brand name Oppo was registered in China in 2001 and launched in 2004. Since then, they have expanded to all parts of the world.
In 2017, Oppo successfully won the bid to sponsor the Indian national cricket team and has achieved the rights to display their logo on the team’s kits from 2017 to 2022. Between this period the Indian national cricket team will play 259 International matches consisting of 62 Tests, 152 ODIs, and 45 T20 Internationals. This number also includes the 2019 World Cup in England and 2020 T20 World Cup in Australia. The current base price for bilateral matches involving India has been set at Rs 4.1 crore (approx.) and for Asian Cricket Council (ACC) and International Cricket Council (ICC) matches, it is Rs 1.56 crore (approx.) - almost a four-fold increase from its earlier rate.
Korean boy band 2PM prepared a song known as "Follow Your Soul" in a promotional deal with Oppo for launching its brand in Thailand in 2010. In June 2015, the company signed an agreement with FC Barcelona to become an official partner of the Spanish football club.
In 2016, PBA tied up with this company as its official smartphone partner starting from 2016 PBA Commissioner's Cup which was held on February 10.
Oppo also hires celebrity endorsers in Vietnam, especially Sơn Tùng M-TP who endorses three smartphone units like Neo 5, Neo 7 and F1s. Oppo made a sponsorship to one of Vietnam's top-rated reality shows, The Face Vietnam.
In October 2017, Oppo Thailand launched a new ad of Oppo F5 smartphone with a new ad presenter: famous Thai actor, Nadech Kugimiya. Oppo Malaysia also launched a new Oppo F5 smartphone with Fattah Amin and Ayda Jebat as their brand ambassadors
The BDP-93 was released in 2010, featuring 3D compatibility and dual HDMI signal output.
This was followed by the BDP-95 whose video performance is identical in all respects with the BDP-93, but with an improved analogue audio output section.
The BDP-103 and BDP-105 models were released near the end of 2012, featuring dual HDMI signal input in addition to dual HDMI signal output. T
The BDP-103D was released in October 2013. This new model is the first Blu-ray player worldwide featuring Darbee Visual Presence technology.
At the end of 2016, Oppo introduced their first 4K/UHD BluRay player, the 203. Backward compatible (as with previous machines), the 203 supports playback of Ultra High Definition discs, along with HDR (high dynamic range) and Dolby Vision capability.
This was followed in 2017 by the 205 - similar to the 203 but, as with previous "5" designated players, had added audiophile features.
Headphones & amplifiers
In 2014 Oppo released a number of high end headphones and amplifiers. The flagship PM-1 and PM-2 headphones along with the HA-1 desktop amplifier have been heavily promoted in the audio community. One blogger declares the PM-2 is "near to perfect".
Released in 2015, the HA-2, was a portable version of the HA-1 amp/DAC which featured a battery pack option as well as a stitched leather casing. The phone played music in real-time to the HA-2 (via the included Android or iOS micro USB cable, or USB cable if from PC). It also can be charged using an included "rapid charger" charging kit. The battery pack feature can only be used simultaneously while the HA-2 is used to play music if the playing (source) device is an Apple iOS device. In October 2016 an updated version was released with a new DAC chip and now named HA-2SE. Otherwise, it was the same as the HA-2
- "IDC：OPPO tops the Chinese smartphone market for the very first time". www.idc.com. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "About Us - OPPO Global". www.oppo.com. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Counterpoint Technology Market Research | Oppo Becomes the Leading Smartphone Brand in China in June 2016". www.counterpointresearch.com. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Upstarts on top / How OPPO and Vivo are beating Apple, Xiaomi and the gang. Economist, February 4th-10th 2017, page 56.
- "National flag protest: Oppo halts production at Noida plant - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Sharma, Anurag (2017-07-20). "Oppo's Entire Punjab Service Team Resigns Over "Indians Are Beggars" Statement - Smartprix Blog". Smartprix Blog. Retrieved 2017-07-21.[unreliable source?]
- sanakujira6th (13 March 2010). "[M/V] 2PM for OPPO - Follow Your Soul". Retrieved 20 June 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Chinese phone maker Oppo signs sponsorship agreement with FC Barcelona". bestmobs.com. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Oppo phones". bestmobs.com. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Deals on latest model Oppo mobile phones from authorised Re-seller of Oppo mobiles in Australia". wireless1.com.au. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Home Theater Magazine review of the OPPO BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Disc player". Archived from the original on 9 July 2009. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Page not found - Error 404 • Home Theater Forum". Home Theater Forum. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Buyblurayplayer.com review of the Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Disc player". Archived from the original on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Stereophile: Music in the Round #37". www.stereophile.com. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "General information about OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc player". Archived from the original on 16 January 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Oppo PM-2 Headphone Review". www.AudiophileON.com. Archived from the original on 29 May 2015. Retrieved 28 May 2015.