The Mechanism (TV series)
|Also known as||The Mechanism|
|Country of origin||Brazil|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Production company(s)||Zazen Produções|
|Picture format||4K (Ultra HD)|
|Original release||March 23, 2018– present|
O Mecanismo (English: The Mechanism) is a Brazilian political drama television series created by José Padilha and Elena Soarez, directed by Padilha, Felipe Prado, and Marcos Prado, and written by Elena Soarez. The show depicts Operation Car Wash (Portuguese: Operação Lava Jato), an ongoing police taskforce that discovered a widespread corruption scheme involving the Brazilian government and several prominent engineering firms. The series premiered all episodes of the first season March 23, 2018, worldwide, on Netflix.
On May 28, 2018, the series was renewed for a second season.
Marco Ruffo (Selton Mello), is a Federal Police delegate obsessed with the case he is investigating. When he least expects it, he and his apprentice, Verena Cardoni (Carol Abras), are already immersed in one of the largest diversion and money laundering investigations in Brazilian history. The proportion is so great that the course of investigations completely changes the lives of all involved.
- Selton Mello as Marco Ruffo
- Caroline Abras as Verena Cardoni
- Enrique Díaz as Roberto Ibrahim
- Leonardo Medeiros as João Pedro Rangel
- Alessandra Colassanti as Wilma Kitano
- Jonathan Haagensen as Vander
- Otto Jr. as Judge Paulo Rigo
- Susana Ribeiro as Regina
- Antonio Saboia as Dimas
- Lee Taylor as Claudio Amadeu
- Leandro Ramos as Alfredo
Similarities with real life events
Despite the recurrent disclaimer at the start of each episode, declaring the screenplay is loosely based on a true story, with characters and events adapted for dramatic effect, many characters and companies depicted (but not all facts regarding them) can be easily traced to the actual people and companies involved in Operation Car Wash. Some such associations are:
- Petrobrasil - Petrobras
- Constructor OSA - OAS Group
- Constructor Miller&Brecht - Odebrecht
- Roberto Ibrahim - Alberto Youssef
- Judge Paulo Rigo - Judge Sérgio Moro
- Former President João Higino - Former President of Brazil Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva
- President Janete Ruscov - Then-President of Brazil Dilma Rousseff
- Senator Lúcio Lemes - Senator Aécio Neves
- Vice President Samuel Themes - Then-Vice President of Brazil Michel Temer
- Mario Garcez Brito - Márcio Thomaz Bastos
- João Pedro Rangel (Pepê) - Paulo Roberto Costa
- Ricardo Brecht - Marcelo Odebrecht
- Lorival Bueno (OSA CEO) - Léo Pinheiro, then OAS Group CEO
- Attorney General (no name in the show) - Then-Prosecutor General of Brazil Rodrigo Janot
- Prosecutor Dimas Donatelli - Prosecutor Deltan Dallagnol
- Maria Tereza, Miller&Brecht Personal Assistant - Maria Lúcia Tavares, then Odebrecht Executive Assistant
- Police Chief Verena Cardoni - Police Chief Erika Marena
- Agent "China" - Newton Ishii, agent of the Federal Police of Brazil
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"Lava Jato (Car Wash)"||José Padilha||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|The family of federal delegate Marco Ruffo is being threatened after he tries to frame Roberto Ibrahim for money laundering.|
|2||"Halawi (Halvah)"||Felipe Prado||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|10 years later, Verena continues to investigate Ibrahim and the doleiros who work with him.|
|3||"Ventos Frios Vindos do Sul (Cool Winds from the South)"||Felipe Prado||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|The Federal Police team works hard to carry out an operation with multiple targets, but important evidence disappears.|
|4||"Fundo Falso (False Bottom)"||Marcos Prado||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|Guilhome gets some unexpected help. Verena goes after João Pedro, and Judge Rigo reflects on a decision that can change everything.|
|5||"Olhos Vermelhos (Red Eyes)"||Marcos Prado||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|Verena has a feeling she can not trust anyone else. Ibrahim's wife is furious to find out what her husband has done in jail.|
|6||"Eles Sabiam de Tudo (They Knew It All)"||Marcos Prado||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|To force João Pedro to speak what he knows, investigators are seeking charges against his family. But a leak puts the whole operation at risk.|
|7||"O Último Respiro (One Last Breath)"||Daniel Rezende||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|The "Clube dos 13" (Club of 13) rush to close an agreement with the attorney general. In dealing with a sewage problem in the neighborhood, Ruffo has a balcony and understands the origin of everything.|
|8||"Juízo Final (Doomsday)"||Daniel Rezende||Elena Soarez||March 23, 2018|
|Verena receives devastating news. Ruffo reevaluates his priorities. Dimas and Cláudio learn of the fate of Operation "Juízo Final" (Doomsday).|
- "Série sobre Lava Jato dirigida por José Padilha é anunciada pela Netflix". Pop & Arte (in Portuguese). 2016-04-15. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Começam as filmagens de O mecanismo, série com Selton Mello sobre a Lava Jato". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- The Mechanism — Official Trailer [HD]. Netflix. 2018-01-18. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Netflix anuncia 2ª temporada de O Mecanismo para 2019". UOL (in Portuguese). 2018-05-28. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "O Mecanismo" (in Portuguese). AdoroCinema. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- "Quem é quem em 'O mecanismo', série da Netflix inspirada na Operação 'Lava Jato'". 14 March 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "O mecanismo: A série que quer mostrar para o mundo como funciona a corrupção". 23 March 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- Pernambuco, Diario de (23 March 2018). "O Mecanismo encara o desafio de retratar a corrupção brasileira". Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "O Mecanismo: mapeamos todas as referências que você não percebeu". Retrieved 21 April 2018.
|This television program-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|