O Pioneers! (film)
|Created by||Willa Cather (novel)|
|Written by||Robert W. Lenski (teleplay)|
|Directed by||Glenn Jordan|
|Theme music composer||Bruce Broughton|
|Executive producer(s)||Craig Anderson|
|Running time||99 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Lorimar Productions
Hallmark Hall of Fame
|Original release||February 2, 1992|
Hallmark Hall of Fame episode
|Episode no.||Season 41
|Original air date||February 2, 1992|
The film centers around a family of Swedish immigrants in Nebraska around the turn of the 20th century. The family's father dies and leaves the family farm to his daughter. She does her best to make the farm work when many others are giving up and leaving.
- Jessica Lange – Alexandra Bergson
- David Strathairn – Carl Linstrum
- Tom Aldredge - Ivar
- Reed Diamond - Emil
- Josh Hamilton – Young Carl
- Heather Graham – Young Alexandra Bergson
- Anne Heche – Marie
Much of the filming was done on location in and around Johnstown, in northern Nebraska. Many of the buildings used are still in use today and retain the board sidewalks seen in sections of the film. Also some of it was filmed in Clarkson Nebraska in the northeast part of the state. There, the filiming was done at the city's library, which is now the city's office, and a small farmhouse north of town.
It first aired on television on February 2, 1992, and was the second-most watched primetime show of the week.
Awards and nominations
- 1992 Emmy Award - Outstanding Individual Achievement in Music Composition for a Miniseries or a Special (Dramatic Underscore)
- 1993 Western Heritage Award - Television Feature Film
- 1992 Emmy Award - Outstanding Individual Achievement in Hairstyling for a Miniseries or a Special
- 1993 Golden Globe award - Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV (Jessica Lange).