|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Genres||Reggae fusion, rap rock, samba rock, funk rock, alternative hip-hop|
|Years active||1993 – present|
|Past members||Marcelo Yuka
O Rappa is a Multi Latin GRAMMY Nominated Brazilian reggae/rock band from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Combining many styles such as rock, reggae, funk, hip hop and samba, O Rappa's songs contain sharp protests against the social problems in Brazil and the members of the band themselves are supporters of numerous social projects.
In 1993, reggae artist Papa Winnie came to Brazil but had no band to play shows with him. He immediately picked four people: Nelson Meirelles, Marcelo Lobato, Alexandre Menezes and Marcelo Yuka as the band. After Papa Winnie's shows, the four decided to stay together picking Falcão as the 5th member and vocalist.
In 1994, they released their first album, on Warner, O Rappa. It was initially only known to small groups within the working class suburbs or Rio de Janeiro. In 1996 the album Rappa Mundi was released. Most of the music was a success, especially the cover of "Hey Joe", a song made famous by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
However it wasn't until the third album Lado B Lado A(Side B Side A) in 1999, that O Rappa gained widespread fame selling over 150 000 copies of that album. Their film clip for their song Minha Alma(My Soul) was also held in high regard winning many MTV Brasil's Vídeo Music Awards.
In November 2000, drummer Marcelo Yuka was shot during a robbery. He tried to avoid the assault by slamming his car against the bandits. The incident left him a paraplegic and he was forced to leave the band. He was replaced by Marcelo Lobato.
In 2008 they released 7 Vezes(7 times). In 2010, the band launched the live album and the DVD O Rappa Ao Vivo Na Rocinha(Live in Rocinha), which was recorded during a concert at Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro's largest favela. The album featured the band's biggest hits as well as many b-side tracks.
- 1994 - O Rappa
- 1996 - Rappa Mundi
- 1999 - Lado B Lado A
- 2003 - O Silêncio Q Precede O Esporro Nominated for Best Brazilian Contemporary Pop Album for the Latin GRAMMY Awards
- 2008 - 7 Vezes
- 2013 - Nunca Tem Fim... (English: Never Ends...)
- 2001 - Instinto Coletivo Ao Vivo (English: Collective Instinct Live)
- 2005 - Acústico MTV (English: MTV Unplugged)Nominated for Best Brazilian Rock Album and Best Long Form Video for the Latin GRAMMY Awards.
- Marcelo Falcão - vocalist
- Xandão (Alexandre Menezes) - guitars and backing vocals
- Lauro Farias - bass and backing vocals
- Marcelo Lobato - keyboards; drums (2001-2008)
- Felipe Boquinha- drums, percussion
- DJ Negralha - scratch
- Marcos Lobato - keyboards, samplers
- Cleber Sena - drums, percussion (1999-2013)
- Nelson Meirelles - bass (1993-1996)
- Marcelo Yuka - drums (1993-2001)