Oak Grove, Kentucky
|Oak Grove, Kentucky|
|Motto: "Kentucky's Rising Star on the Border"|
Location of Oak Grove, Kentucky
|• Total||10.79 sq mi (27.94 km2)|
|• Land||10.75 sq mi (27.85 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.09 km2)|
|Elevation||541 ft (165 m)|
|• Density||696/sq mi (268.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||270 & 364|
|GNIS feature ID||0499655|
Oak Grove is a home rule-class city adjacent to the Fort Campbell army base in Christian County, Kentucky, in the United States. The population was 7,489 as of the 2010 U.S. Census. It is part of the Clarksville, Tennessee metropolitan area.
Oak Grove is located in southeastern Christian County at  Its southern border is the Tennessee state line, and it is bordered to the west by Fort Campbell. Hopkinsville, the Christian County seat, touches the northwest corner of Oak Grove along Fort Campbell Boulevard (U.S. Route 41 Alternate). Interstate 24 forms the northeast boundary of Oak Grove, with access from exit 86 (US 41 Alt.) and exit 89 (Kentucky Route 115). The city of Clarksville, Tennessee, is along the southern boundary of Oak Grove.(36.658374, -87.419565).
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,064 people, 2,529 households, and 1,820 families residing in the city. The population density was 685.4 people per square mile (264.5/km²). There were 2,912 housing units at an average density of 282.5 per square mile (109.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 61.72% White, 25.81% African American, 1.03% Native American or Alaska Native, 1.64% Asian, 0.51% Pacific Islander, 3.94% from other races, and 5.35% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 9.41% of the population.
There were 2,529 households out of which 50.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.5% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.0% were non-families. 17.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 0.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.14.
The age distribution was 32.2% under the age of 18, 23.4% from 18 to 24, 38.6% from 25 to 44, 4.9% from 45 to 64, and 1.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 24 years. For every 100 females there are 113.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 115.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,235, and the median income for a family was $31,972. Males had a median income of $25,497 versus $18,994 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,769. About 7.9% of families and 10.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.1% of those under age 18 and 8.0% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Oak Grove has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State. Land Office. "Oak Grove, Kentucky". Accessed 18 September 2013.
- "Summary and Reference Guide to House Bill 331 City Classification Reform" (PDF). Kentucky League of Cities. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Oak Grove city, Kentucky". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Christian County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- Collins, Lewis (1877). History of Kentucky. p. 125.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Climate Summary for Oak Grove, Kentucky