Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Virginia)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Oak Hill Academy|
|2635 Oak Hill Road
Mouth of Wilson, Virginia 24363
|Motto||"The Turning Point"|
|Diante Lesperance||Diante Lesperance|
|Enrollment||approx. 150 total
|Average class size||17–20 students|
|Campus||420 acres (1.6 km²)|
|Color(s)||Red and Gold|
Oak Hill Academy is a co-educational, private Baptist-affiliated secondary school in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia, United States. Oak Hill's enrollment of approximately 150 students is 98% boarders, serving grades 8–12. It is accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools.
Notable basketball players
- Chris Brown, currently plays for Oregon State University
- Eric Devendorf, former player at Syracuse University and a 2006–07 All-Big East Honorable Mention selection.
- Rokas Gustys, current player for Hofstra University
- Keith Gallon, played one year at the University of Oklahoma
- Jamont Gordon, former player at Mississippi State University
- Justin Gray, standout player at Wake Forest University.
- Sean Green, played at Iona College and briefly in the NBA
- Venson Hamilton, player at University of Nebraska
- Lamont Jones, currently plays for the Iona Gaels
- Alex Legion, college basketball player at Florida International University, University of Kentucky and University of Illinois.
- Landon Milbourne player for Hapoel Eilat of the Israeli Basketball Premier League
- K.C. Rivers, player for Clemson University
- Travis Watson, player at University of Virginia.
- Curtis Staples, drafted by the Chicago Bulls in 1998. Eighth in NCAA career three-point field goals, at 413.
- Tyler Lewis, currently plays for Butler University
- Lennard Freeman, currently plays for North Carolina State University
- Jordan Adams, currently plays for Memphis Grizzlies, was the 22nd overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft.
- Nate Britt, currently plays for University of North Carolina
- D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, currently plays for Georgetown University
- Harry Giles, currently plays Duke University
- Terrence Phillips, currently plays for University of Missouri
- Dwayne Bacon, currently plays for Florida State University.
- Daniel Giddens, plays for the University of Alabama.
- Mario Kegler, plays for Mississippi State University.
- Braxton Key, University of Alabama Commit.
- Billy Preston Kansas University Commit.
- Quinn Cook currently plays for the Canton Charge, a D-League affiliate team for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Cory Alexander, played at the University of Virginia and in the NBA
- Carmelo Anthony, played at Syracuse University; drafted third in 2003; 2003 NCAA Champion; NBA All-Star; attended Towson Catholic High School in Baltimore before transferring.
- William Avery, former Duke University point guard, and former NBA player for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Michael Beasley, transferred to Notre Dame Prep, 2007 McDonald's All American Game MVP, played at Kansas State University. Selected second in the 2008 NBA draft.
- Mark Blount, played at the University of Pittsburgh
- Alex Blackwell, played at Monmouth College and briefly in the NBA
- Steve Blake, played at the University of Maryland, who last played for the Detroit Pistons in the NBA
- Junior Burrough, played at the University of Virginia and briefly for the Boston Celtics in the NBA
- Ben Davis, played at the University of Arizona and briefly in the NBA
- Kevin Durant, (transferred to Montrose Christian School before graduating) played at The University of Texas; second pick in 2007 NBA draft; MVP of the 2006 McDonald's All American Game; NBA Rookie of the Year; NBA All-Star; NBA MVP 
- A. J. Hammons, currently plays for Dallas Mavericks
- Stephen Jackson, NBA player for the San Antonio Spurs
- Brandon Jennings, NBA player for the New York Knicks, selected 10th in the 2009 NBA draft. Played for Italy's Lottomatica Roma.
- Doron Lamb, McDonald's All-American; played at University of Kentucky; player for the Milwaukee Bucks and the Orlando Magic.
- Ty Lawson, player on the Sacramento Kings, played at the University of North Carolina. Went to Bishop McNamara High School before going to Oak Hill Academy.
- Jeff McInnis, played at the University of North Carolina; former player on Portland Trail Blazers, Los Angeles Clippers, and the New Jersey Nets.
- Ben McLemore, plays for Sacramento Kings, selected 7th overall in NBA Draft
- Ron Mercer, played at the University of Kentucky from 1995–1997; played for 7 NBA teams
- Rajon Rondo, played at the University of Kentucky; Drafted 21st in the NBA draft, Won the 2008 NBA championship; an All-Star in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Currently plays for the Chicago Bulls.
- Josh Smith, drafted first round, 17th pick by the Atlanta Hawks in the 2004 NBA draft. Currently plays for the Houston Rockets.
- Jerry Stackhouse, played at the University of North Carolina. NBA player with the Philadelphia 76ers, Detroit Pistons, Washington Wizards, Dallas Mavericks, Brooklyn Nets, and Milwaukee Bucks.
- Rod Strickland, played at DePaul University and drafted 19th in the 1988 NBA draft. 17 seasons in the NBA for the Portland Trail Blazers and the Washington Wizards.
- Nolan Smith, played for Duke University, in the NBA for the Portland Trail Blazers. Nolan is the son of Derek Smith, who starred at the University of Louisville.
- Marcus Williams, 2004 National Championship with UConn. Played with the New Jersey Nets, Golden State Warriors, the Memphis Grizzlies and in Serbia and Spain.
- Troy Williams, played for Indiana University, currently plays in the NBA for the Memphis Grizzlies.
- "Oak Hill website". Oak-hill.net. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Player Bio: Chris Brown". Osubeavers.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Dave Iannone. "NBA Draftees – Oak Hill Basketball – Oak Hill Academy". Oakhillhoops.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Charge finalize roster; camp opens Tuesday". The Repository. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Player Bio: Steve Blake". Umterps.com. 1980-02-26. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Kevin Durant – Hoopedia". Hoopedia.nba.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Player profile at". Nba.com. 1989-09-23. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Virginia's Powerhouse". Sports Illustrated. 2002-10-24. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "2006 Draft profile at". Nba.com. 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Free Agent Josh Smith Joins Houston Rockets". NBA.com. December 26, 2014. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "Jerry Stackhouse profile at Basketball Database". Databasebasketball.com. 1974-11-05. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Rod Strickland profile at Basketball database". Databasebasketball.com. 1966-11-07. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Oak Hill Basketball official site
- Oak Hill boys' basketball page at MaxPreps.com
- The Association of Boarding Schools profile