Oak Ridge High School (El Dorado Hills, California)
|Oak Ridge High School|
1120 Harvard Way
El Dorado Hills 95762
|School district||El Dorado Union High School District|
|Color(s)||Navy blue and gold|
Oak Ridge High School is a public high school 20 miles east of Sacramento, California, United States, in El Dorado Hills. It is part of the El Dorado Union High School District. Oak Ridge High School was established in 1980 with 222 students. As of the 2017-18 school year, Oak Ridge High School had 2,429 students.
Oak Ridge offers a wide range of classes in history, English, foreign languages, mathematics, science, physical education, and electives, as well as a large drama and art department. The school offers foreign languages such as Japanese, Italian, French, and Spanish. Oak Ridge is in the 96th percentile among Californian schools in SAT scores and has a 99.1% graduation rate as of 2008. The school was measured at 865 in the 2008 Academic Performance Index, compared with the California State average of 742 in 2008.
The school currently offers the following AP Classes: Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science A, Computer Science Principles, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Microeconomics, Physics 1, Psychology, Spanish Language, Statistics, U.S. History, U.S. Government, and World History.
When sung or played, it goes to the tune of Cornell University's alma mater, "Far Above Cayuga's Waters". The song is intoned at the end of all ORHS football games, with the second verse and chorus omitted. The Oak Ridge Marching Band also plays then sings the alma mater following each home football game.
Oak Ridge is a member of the Division I Sierra Foothill League. Previously it spent 15 years as a member of the Sierra Valley Conference of the Sac-Joaquin Section of the CIF. The school offers an extensive list of sport programs to its students, including baseball, cross country, football, basketball, golf, lacrosse, soccer, ski and snowboard, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, water polo, and wrestling. Several sports are available through school-affiliated clubs, such as the Mother Lode Rugby Club, which combines men's and women's rugby for all of El Dorado County's high school students. Oak Ridge has had many student-athlete alumni go on to compete nationally at collegiate or professional levels.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Oak Ridge football team won the D-II California State Championship in both 2003 and 2004, led by two outstanding athletes: Austin Collie and Seyi Ajirotutu. After playing five season in the NFL and one season in the Canadian Football League, Collie retired from football in 2016. Ajirotutu played six seasons in the NFL.
Oak Ridge Basketball won the 2010 D-I California Women's State Championship. The boys won the D-II California State Championship in 2005.
Oak Ridge Trojans swim team won the CIF State swimming championship in May 2016 and May 2017. The Trojans also placed 2nd in May 2018. Most recently in May 2019 the Oak Ridge boys' swim team again placed second out of 236 California High School finalists in the CIF swim championships. Members of the swim team included Evan McCormick, Kyle Garcia, Jonathan Chu, Colby Mefford, Raghubir Chimni, Jack Cook, Adam Granger, Ben Dillard and diver Everett Tai.
- Feross Aboukhadijeh, Class of 2008, Stanford graduate, programmer and entrepreneur; created YouTube Instant, PeerCDN, and WebTorrent
- Lonni Alameda, Class of 1988, professional softball player and head softball coach at Florida State University
- Seyi Ajirotutu, Class of 2005, NFL wide receiver for the San Diego Chargers and Carolina Panthers
- Ryan Anderson, Class of 2006, after attending the University of California Berkeley, was drafted in the 2008 NBA draft, 21st overall to the New Jersey Nets
- Ian Book, Class of 2016, starting quarterback for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Sam Clemons, Class of 1997, football player
- Austin Collie, Class of 2004, NFL wide receiver; drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the fourth round (127th overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft; retired in 2016
- Marvin Philip, Class of 2000, University of California, Berkeley Football All-American. Drafted in 2006 as a Center by the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers.
- F. P. Santangelo, Class of 1985, former professional baseball player (1995–2001) who played for the Montreal Expos, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Oakland Athletics
- "Oak Ridge High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "Oak Ridge High". nces.ed.gov. 2019-06-10. Archived from the original on June 10, 2019. Retrieved 2019-06-10.
- "Official Athletics Website of the Oak Ridge Trojans". Oak Ridge High School. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Trojans take second at CIF swim championships". goldcountrymedia.com. Retrieved 2019-08-13.