Oak Valley, New Jersey
Oak Valley, New Jersey
Map of Oak Valley highlighted within Gloucester County. Right: Location of Gloucetser County in New Jersey.
|• Total||0.711 sq mi (1.841 km2)|
|• Land||0.707 sq mi (1.831 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.009 km2) 0.51%|
|Elevation||85 ft (26 m)|
|• Density||4,926.1/sq mi (1,902.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||02389602|
Oak Valley is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Deptford Township, in Gloucester County, New Jersey, in the United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 3,483.
Oak Valley and neighboring Pine Acres are located east of Route 45, isolated from the rest of Deptford Township, requiring residents to drive through the neighboring communities of Woodbury Heights or Wenonah to reach other destinations in the township. The neighborhood was built between the mid-1950s and 1963 on a combination of farmland, fruit orchards and the former grounds of the Forest View Country Club, later known as Oak Valley Country Club, which was a golf course that closed down during the Great Depression.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 0.711 square miles (1.841 km2), including 0.707 square miles (1.831 km2) of land and 0.004 square miles (0.009 km2) of water (0.51%). It is located approximately 10 miles south of Philadelphia.
|Population sources: 2000 2010|
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 3,483 people, 1,233 households, and 976.5 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,926.1 per square mile (1,902.0/km2). There were 1,315 housing units at an average density of 1,859.8 per square mile (718.1/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 93.48% (3,256) White, 3.10% (108) Black or African American, 0.34% (12) Native American, 0.83% (29) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 0.57% (20) from other races, and 1.67% (58) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.07% (107) of the population.
There were 1,233 households out of which 29.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.7% were married couples living together, 14.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.8% were non-families. 17.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 21.6% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 27.0% from 45 to 64, and 16.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40.4 years. For every 100 females there were 94.3 males. For every 100 females ages 18 and older there were 92.5 males.
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 3,747 people, 1,305 households, and 1,060 families residing in Oak Valley. The population density was 2,066.7/km² (5,321.6/mi²). There were 1,322 housing units at an average density of 729.2/km² (1,877.6/mi²). The racial makeup is 93.43% White, 4.06% African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.80% Asian, 0.27% from other races, and 1.17% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.24% of the population.
There were 1,305 households out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.4% were married couples living together, 12.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.7% were non-families. 16.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.87 and the average family size was 3.20.
In Oak Valley the population is spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 20.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.4 males.
The median income for a household is $50,746, and the median income for a family was $55,573. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $25,350 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,148. About 3.0% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.7% of those under age 18 and 3.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Oak Valley Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed November 10, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Oak Valley CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 10, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Oak valley, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed October 18, 2012.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed November 10, 2012.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed April 19, 2015.
- Staff. "History: Deptford is Gloucester County's third most populated municipality, but it's now only a small fraction of the size it was once.", Courier Post, February 26, 2004. Accessed November 10, 2012. "In comparison, the Oak Valley section, east of Route 45 and bordered by Woodbury Heights and Wenonah, is a more modern community. Its heavy mix of Cape Cod, ranch and split-level style homes date back to the late 1950s and early 1960s. It was created on the site of the old Oak Valley Country Club."
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000 from the Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data for Oak Valley CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 10, 2012.