Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
|Motto||Seguir virtute e canoscenza (Italian)|
Motto in English
|Seek virtue and knowledge|
|Established||University 1957, Medical School 2008|
|President||Betty Youngblood (interim)|
|Dean||Robert Folberg, M.D. (founding and current dean) |
|Students||20,169 - (OU, Fall 2013) |
|Undergraduates||16,594 - (OU, Fall 2013) |
|Postgraduates||3,575 - (OU, Fall 2013), 225 - (OUWBSM, Fall 2013), 500 planned - (OUWBSM by 2017) |
|Location||Campus is in Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills, Mailing address: 2200 N Squirrel Rd, Rochester, Michigan 48309, US|
|Colors||Gold, Burgundy & Black
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine (OUWBSM) is the medical school for Oakland University (OU) in Rochester, Michigan. The campus is located north of Detroit in central Oakland County, Michigan and spans the cites of Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills, but has a Rochester mailing address. OUWBSM is named for OU which was named for Oakland County and William Beaumont Hospital (WBH) which was named for US Army surgeon William Beaumont who became known as the "Father of Gastric Physiology" following his research on human digestion started at Fort Mackinac on Mackinac Island, Michigan. WBH's original name was "Oakland Hospital" (as it was being built) named for the county. But to distinguish itself from nearby Oakwood Hospital, Oakland Hospital changed its name just before officially opening for business. 
The school was first planned for with founding partner William Beaumont Health System (WBHS) in 2007 OUWBSM was later founded in 2008 with the first class starting in the fall of 2011. OUWBSM is the fourth medical school in the US State of Michigan and the first new medical school in 47 years. Over 3,000 prospective students applied for the first 50 student positions in the first class. 2012 added 75 new students, with 100 more joining in 2013 and 2014 each for a total of 325 students. In 2015, OUWB received full accreditation from the LCME. In March 2015, OUWB's Charter Class achieved a 100% match rate when matching to their residency positions.
The school has plans to add 125 new students in 2015 and onwards, and by 2017 expects to have 500 total students. New dedicated buildings for OUWB are being planned on both OU and WBHS's various campuses.
William Beaumont Health System
WBHS was founded 2 years earlier than Oakland University in 1955. System-wide WBHS operates 1,738 beds at 3 hospital locations (1,070 beds at William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, 418 beds at William Beaumont Hospital, Troy, 250 beds at William Beaumont Hospital, Grosse Pointe) and many clinics, rehabilitation centers, and affiliated doctor offices in Metro Detroit. William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak is nationally ranked in 7 specialties. Is the 3rd largest provider of Medicare in the US and one of the largest hospitals in the country. Beaumont operates the only Level I Trauma Center in Oakland or Macomb Counties, an area of about 2 million people. WBHS also has air medical transportation service called Beaumont One.
In addition to OUWBSM, WBHS is also a teaching hospital for University of Michigan Medical School, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Wayne State University School of Nursing, and Michigan State University School of Nursing.
- As of January 17, 2012. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2011 Endowment Market Value and Percentage Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2010 to FY 2011" (PDF). 2011 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowment Results. National Association of College and University Business Officers. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- "Administration - Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine". oakland.edu. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Fall Headcount & FYES 1959-2013 - Office of Institutional Research and Assessment - Oakland University". Oakland University. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "10-Year Undergraduate and Graduate Enrollment Fall 2004 - Fall 2013" (PDF). Oakland University. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Oakland University William Beaumont School Of Medicine Welcomes First Class - Press Release". Oakland University. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Home - Oakland University". Oakland University.
- Beaumont, William (1838). Experiments and Observations on the Gastric Juice and the Physiology of Digestion. Edinburgh: Maclachlan and Stewart. ISBN 0-486-69213-2.
- Harré, R. (1981). Great Scientific Experiments. Phaidon (Oxford). pp. 39–47. ISBN 0-7148-2096-2.
- "About Beaumont's Digestive Health Center of Excellence". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Timeline/Milestones". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Beaumont, Royal Oak Campus". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Beaumont, Troy Campus". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Beaumont, Grosse Pointe Campus". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Level One Trauma Care". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- Graduate Medical Education Beaumont Hospital | Beaumont Hospitals
- Community Partnerships