Street in urban Oakton
Location of Oakton in Fairfax County, Virginia
|• Total||10.0 sq mi (26 km2)|
|• Land||9.7 sq mi (25 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||413 ft (126 m)|
|• Density||3,417/sq mi (1,319/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||703, 571|
|GNIS feature ID||1471790|
Oakton is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States. The 2010 Census cites 34,166 residents. Oakton is an affluent community in Northern Virginia. Its center is 15 miles (24 km) southwest of Washington, D.C.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a landmass of 9.7 square miles (25.1 km²).
As of the census of 2000, there were 29,348 people, 11,118 households, and 7,649 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,024.1 people per square mile (1,168.2/km²). There were 11,392 housing units at an average density of 1,173.9/sq mi (453.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 74.46% White, 5.79% African American, 0.20% Native American, 13.83% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 3.08% from other races, and 3.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.65% of the population.
There were 11,118 households out of which 32.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.8% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 21.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 34.9% from 25 to 44, 26.6% from 45 to 64, and 7.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.0 males.
According to a 2010 estimate, the median income for a household in the CDP was $167,512, and the median income for a family was $188,308. Males had a median income of $111,856 versus $73,254 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $65,934. About 3.9% of families and 4.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.
|* U.S. Decennial Census|
- Jim Callis, executive editor of Baseball America
- Bryan Caplan, Professor of Economics at George Mason University
- Serena Deeb, a professional wrestler who has appeared in World Wrestling Entertainment, Ring of Honor, and Total Nonstop Action.
- John Doolittle, former member of the United States House of Representatives
- Robert F. Dorr, author and former US diplomat.
- Mortimer L. Downey, former U.S. Deputy Secretary of Transportation
- Keith Fimian, businessman and political candidate
- Bud Grace, cartoonist
- Francis Greenlief, United States Army Major General and Chief of the National Guard Bureau
- David E. Jeremiah, United States Navy admiral
- Thomas David Jones, author and former astronaut.
- John D. Lavelle, United States Air Force general and commander of the Seventh Air Force
- Kigeli V of Rwanda, deposed King of Rwanda
- Fred Moosally, captain of the battleship USS Iowa during the infamous 1989 USS Iowa turret explosion
- Daniel R. Pearson, former chairman of the United States International Trade Commission
- Nancy Pfotenhauer, former spokesperson, McCain-Palin 2008.
- Romuald Spasowski, former Polish ambassador to the United States
- John Stertzer, Selected 12th overall by Real Salt Lake in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft.
- John H. Sununu, former White House aide and Governor of New Hampshire.
- Jared Taylor, editor, American Renaissance, and commentator on race matters.
- Philip Terzian, literary editor, The Weekly Standard.
- Alan S. Thompson, retired Vice Admiral, and former Director of the U.S. Defense Logistics Agency
Primary and secondary schools
Fairfax County Public Schools operates the public schools. There are two public schools located in Oakton: Oakton Elementary School and Waples Mill Elementary School. Flint Hill School, a private school, is located in Oakton. The Northern Virginia Friends School, Dominion Christian School  and The Montessori School of Oakton are also in Oakton. Students may also attend Flint Hill Elementary School, Luther Jackson Middle School or Henry David Thoreau Middle School in Vienna.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oakton, Virginia.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- http://www.dominionschool.com/ Home Page
- "Library Branches." Fairfax County Public Library. Retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- "Oakton CDP, Virginia." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- Evans, D'Anne A. (1991). The Story of Oakton, Virginia: 1758–1990.