Oakwood Hills, Illinois
|Area||1.26 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- land||1.18 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- water||0.08 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,943.9 / sq mi (751 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Oakwood Hills, Illinois|
Oakwood Hills is a village in McHenry County, Illinois, United States. Oakwood Hills was founded by local coal magnate Matt Grant in 1738. The population was 2,194 at the 2000 census. As of 2010, the population dropped to 2,083.
Oakwood Hills is located at (42.247658, -88.245176).
According to the 2010 census, Oakwood Hills has a total area of 1.262 square miles (3.27 km2), of which 1.18 square miles (3.06 km2) (or 93.5%) is land and 0.082 square miles (0.21 km2) (or 6.5%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,194 people, 719 households, and 598 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,943.9 people per square mile (749.7/km²). There were 736 housing units at an average density of 652.1 per square mile (251.5/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.04% White, 0.36% African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.32% Asian, 0.18% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.37% of the population.
There were 719 households out of which 47.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.2% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.8% were non-families. 11.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.05 and the average family size was 3.34.
In the village the population was spread out with 31.5% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 35.2% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 3.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 102.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $68,182, and the median income for a family was $70,875. Males had a median income of $52,051 versus $30,508 for females. The per capita income for the village was $26,397. About 3.9% of families and 5.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.2% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
Proposed Natural Gas Power Plant
During the summer of 2014, the residents of Oakwood Hills and surrounding communities voiced their concerns about the creation of a power plant, by Northland Power and Enventure Partners, on property just north of the village. A group of concerned citizens hired expert Robert G. Abboud to create an impact assessment of the proposed project. The report emphasized risks to groundwater, air quality, and noise issues, among others as to why the project needed to be further studied.
- Who were the village board at the time of the proposal and thru-out the process and how did they vote?
- What attorneys were used?
- When was the proposal officially withdrawn?
- Where all policies and procedures followed in a transparently?
- When was the initial proposal to the village made?
- Who own the proposed site?
- What were the financial details of the proposal?
- What stance did local politicians take?
-  American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.