Oath of citizenship
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
An Oath of Citizenship is an oath taken by immigrants that officially naturalizes immigrants into citizens. It is often the final step in this process, and is usually done in a ceremonial capacity. An oath of citizenship is designed to be a statement of loyalty and patriotism to the new country. In countries which retain a monarchical system of government, an oath of allegiance to the monarch is often required as well. Adding an oath to God to the end of an oath is usually optional.
- Declaro expressamente que assumo o compromisso de bem cumprir os deveres de cidadão brasileiro, observando e respeitando os preceitos da Constituição Federal.
The English translation:
I expressly declare that I assume the commitment to well comply the Brazilian citizen duties, observing and respecting the principles of the Federal Constitution.
The Oath of Citizenship, or Citizenship Oath (in French: serment de citoyenneté), is a statement recited and signed by candidates who wish to become citizens of Canada. Administered at a ceremony presided over by assigned officers, most often a citizenship judge. The oath is a promise or declaration of fealty to Canada in the name of the Canadian monarch and a promise to abide by Canada's laws and customs; upon signing the oath, citizenship is granted to the signer. New citizens must take the oath. As Canada is officially bilingual in English and French,the presiding official leads new citizens in both languages at citizenship ceremonies. It is mandatory that the presiding official and/or the citizenship officials observe each applicant reciting the oath.
- I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.
- Je jure fidélité et sincère allégeance à Sa Majesté la Reine Elizabeth Deux, Reine du Canada, à ses héritiers et successeurs et je jure d’observer fidèlement les lois du Canada et de remplir loyalement mes obligations de citoyen canadien.
- J'affirme solennellement que je serai fidèle et porterai sincère allégeance à Sa Majesté la Reine Elizabeth Deux, Reine du Canada, à ses héritiers et successeurs, que j’observerai fidèlement les lois du Canada et que je remplirai loyalement mes obligations de citoyen canadien.
- Ich erkläre feierlich, dass ich das Grundgesetz und die Gesetze der Bundesrepublik Deutschland achten und alles unterlassen werde, was ihr schaden könnte.
- I solemnly declare that I will respect and observe the Basic Law and the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany, and that I will refrain from any activity which might cause it harm.
Officially called the "Oath of Allegiance".
- Én, [name] esküszöm, hogy Magyarországot hazámnak tekintem. Magyarországnak hű állampolgára leszek, az Alaptörvényt és a jogszabályokat tiszteletben tartom és megtartom. Hazámat erőmhöz mérten megvédem, képességeimnek megfelelően szolgálom. Isten engem úgy segéljen.
- I, [name], do solemnly swear that I shall consider Hungary my homeland. I shall be a loyal citizen of the Republic of Hungary, and shall honour and observe its Constitution and laws. I shall defend my homeland in function with my force, and shall serve it to the best of my ability. So help me God!
The "Pledge of Allegiance" is the same with the exception of "So help me God!" ["Isten engem úgy segéljen."] and is of equal value.
Officially called the "Oath of Allegiance"
I, [name] do solemnly affirm (or swear) that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of India as by law established, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of India and fulfil my duties as a citizen of India.
The Italian oath of citizenship
Giuro di essere fedele alla Repubblica e di osservare la Costituzione e le leggi dello Stato
The English translation
I swear to be faithful to the Republic and to observe the Constitution and the laws of the State
I, [name], do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Heirs and Successors, according to law and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Jamaica and fulfill my duties as a citizen of Jamaica.
According to New Zealand law, new citizens are given the option of taking the oath in either English or Maori when swearing in at a citizenship ceremony.
- I, [full name], swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance
- to Her (or His) Majesty [specify the name of the reigning Sovereign, as thus: Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of New Zealand] Her (or His) heirs and successors
- according to law, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of New Zealand
- and fulfil my duties as a New Zealand citizen. So help me God.
Those who object to adding 'God' to the end of an oath may take the affirmation of allegiance instead:
- I [name] solemnly and sincerely affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance
- to Her (or His) Majesty [specify the name of the reigning Sovereign, as thus: Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of New Zealand] Her (or His) heirs and successors according to the law
- and that I will faithfully observe the laws of New Zealand and fulfil my duties as a New Zealand citizen.
- Tenei au, a [name], te oati nei ka pirihongo au, ka noho au hei haumi tuturu ki te Mana Roera, ki a Kuini Irihapeti te Tuarua, te Kuini o Aotearoa, ana kawa me ana piki turanga i raro i te ture, a, ka u marika au ki nga ture o Aotearoa, ka whakatutuki ano hoki i nga kawenga kei runga i a au hei kirirarau o Aotearoa, i runga i nga manaakitanga a te atua.
- Tenei au, a [name], te whakau nei i runga i te ngakau pono, i te ngakau pai, ka pirihongo au, ka noho au hei haumi tuturu ki a Kuini Irihapeti te Tuarua, te Kuini o Aotearoa, ana kawa me ana piki turanga i raro i te ture, a, ka u marika au ki nga ture o Aotearoa, ka whakatutuki ano hoki i nga kawenga kei runga i a au hei kirirarau o Aotearoa.
- "I, (name), solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend
- the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and legal orders
- promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines
- and I hereby declare that I recognize and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines
- and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto; and that I imposed
- this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental
- reservation or purpose of evasion. So help me God."
- I, [name], do solemnly swear that I will be faithful,
- and bear true allegiance to the Republic of Singapore,
- and that I will observe the laws and be a true,
- loyal and faithful citizen of Singapore,
- I, [name], do hereby solemnly declare that I will be loyal to the Republic of South Africa, promote all that will advance it and oppose all that may harm it, uphold and respect its Constitution and commit myself to the furtherance of the ideals and principles contained therein.
- I, [name], [swear by Almighty God] [do solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare] that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs, and successors, according to law.
Since 1 January 2004, applicants for British citizenship are also required to make a pledge (see Pledges below).
The United States Oath of Allegiance (officially referred to as the "Oath of Allegiance," 8 C.F.R. Part 337 (2008)) is an oath that must be taken by all immigrants who wish to become United States citizens.
- I hereby declare, on oath, that
- I absolutely and entirely
- renounce and abjure
- all allegiance and fidelity
- to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty
- of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen
- that I will support and defend
- the Constitution and laws of the United States of America
- against all enemies, foreign and domestic
- that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same
- that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law
- that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law
- that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law
- and that I take this obligation freely
- without any mental reservation
- or purpose of evasion.
- So help me God.
For people who object to taking an oath (or are not religious), the words "on oath" can be replaced with "and solemnly affirm", and the words "so help me God" can be omitted.
In some countries, a pledge is taken by a new citizen, as opposed to an oath.
Officially called the "Pledge of Commitment":
- From this time forward, (under God),
- I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
- whose democratic beliefs I share,
- whose rights and liberties I respect, and
- whose laws I will uphold and obey.
All new citizens have the choice of making the pledge with or without the words 'under God'.
Som norsk statsborger lover jeg troskap til mitt land Norge og det norske samfunnet, og jeg støtter demokratiet og menneskerettighetene og vil respektere landets lover.
As a citizen of Norway I pledge loyalty to my country Norway and the Norwegian society, and I support democracy and human rights and will respect the laws of the country.
Applicants for Norwegian citizenship are not required to take the oath, it is optional.
- Jur să fiu devotat patriei şi poporului român, să apăr drepturile şi interesele naţionale, să respect Constituţia şi legile României
- I pledge my devotion to my country and to the Romanian people, to defend the nation's rights and interests, to respect the Constitution and laws of Romania
Since 1 January 2004, applicants for British citizenship are also required, in addition to swearing the oath or affirmation of allegiance, to make a pledge to the United Kingdom as follows:
- I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.
Persons acquiring British overseas territories citizenship make an equivalent pledge to the relevant British Overseas Territory. In the very unusual cases of an acquisition of British Overseas citizenship, or British subject status, no pledge would be required.
- "Naturalização: O papel da Justiça Federal no processo de naturalização de estrangeiros" (PDF). Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada (27 May 2008), Guide to Citizenship Ceremonies (PDF), CP 15, Ottawa: Queen's Printer for Canada, p. 6, archived from the original (PDF) on April 6, 2008, retrieved 6 January 2009
- "The citizenship ceremony, Canada". Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Nationality Act" (PDF).
- Consular Services Hungary (26 December 2011), Act LV of 1993 on Hungarian Citizenship (PDF), pp. 4–5, archived from the original (PDF) on December 26, 2011, retrieved 18 February 2014