Obeid bin Said bin Rashid
|Obeid bin Said bin Rashid|
|Ruler of Dubai|
|Joint||July 9, 1833–1836|
|Predecessor||Mohammed bin Hazza Al Zaal|
|Successor||Maktoum bin Butti bin Suhail|
Obeid bin Said bin Rashid was the first Ruler of Dubai under the Al Bu Falasah, jointly leading a migration of the tribe from Abu Dhabi alongside Maktoum bin Butti bin Sohail. He ruled for three years prior to his death in 1836.
The settlement of Dubai had previously paid tribute to the Bani Yas of Abu Dhabi and was ruled by a regent in 1820 when the General Maritime Treaty of 1820 was signed between the sheikhs of the South Eastern Persian Gulf coast and the British. The regent, Saeed bin Saif bin Zaal, signed on behalf of his nephew, Sheikh Mohammed bin Hazza bin Zaal, who was at the time in his minority. Mohammed bin Hazza remained head man of Dubai until the arrival of the Al Bu Falasah in 1833, when he was 23 years of age.
The migration of some 800 members of the Al Bu Falasah was triggered by a coup which removed Sheikh Tahnoon bin Shakhbut Al Nahyan as Ruler of Abu Dhabi and the Bani Yas tribe. A subsection of the tribe, the Al Bu Falasah, disagreed with the new Ruler, Sheikh Khalifa bin Shakhbut Al Nahyan and moved north to Dubai, which at the time consisted of a settlement of some 250 houses at Shindagha and the Al Fahidi Fort on the other side of the Ghubaiba inlet. The migration would have been an arduous undertaking, and took place over some time throughout and following the pearling season of that year (typically May to November).
Obeid bin Said bin Rashid died of old age and was succeeded by Maktoum.
- Wilson, Graeme (199). Father of Dubai. Media Prima. p. 23.
- Wilson, Graeme (1999). Father of Dubai. Media Prima. p. 22.
- Lorimer, John (1915). Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf. British Government, Bombay. p. 670.
- Heard-Bey, Frauke (2005). From Trucial States to United Arab Emirates : a society in transition. London: Motivate. p. 465. ISBN 1860631673. OCLC 64689681.
- Heard-Bey, Frauke (2005). From Trucial States to United Arab Emirates : a society in transition. London: Motivate. p. 242. ISBN 1860631673. OCLC 64689681.
Mohammed bin Hazza Al Zaal
| Ruler of Dubai
Maktoum bin Butti bin Suhail