|Alternative names||Burg Neu-Schellenberg|
|Construction started||built around 1200, first written record from 1348|
|Owner||Historischer Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein) |
Obere Burg ("Upper Castle"), also known colloquially as Burg Neu-Schellenberg ("Castle of Neu-Schellenberg"), is a castle ruin located in the municipality of Schellenberg, Liechtenstein. It lies at the western edge of Hinterschloss, one of the burroughs in the village of Neu-Schellenberg. It is freely open to tourists. Due to its close proximity to Hinterschloss, it is probably the most easily accessible of all Liechtenstein castles. Obere Burg is one of the five existing castles in Liechtenstein and one of the three ruined ones in the country.
Obere Burg is the larger and older one of the two ruined castles in the Municipality of Schellenberg. Its construction was finished already around 1200. The castles's first appearance in written records occurred on the 10th of January 1348. According to current estimates, it was inhabited until roughly the 16th century, when it was abandoned[why?] and ceased to function as a residence. In the following centuries, the castle lost its military purpose and became a ruin. In 1956, Franz Joseph II, Prince of Liechtenstein handed over ownership of the heavily overgrown ruin to the Historisches Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein). This institution is the current owner and caretaker of the ruin and oversees its research, upkeep and preservation.
- Untere Burg - The other castle ruin in the municipality of Schellenberg.
- List of castles in Liechtenstein
- "Historischer Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein)". 31 March 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Principality of Liechtenstein: Travel, holidays, vacations - Activities - Popular sights & the countryside: Castle ruins in Schellenberg". 31 March 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Photos of Obere Burg Castle". 2013-01-05. Archived from the original on 2013-02-12. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Photo gallery of Liechtenstein and Luxembourg castles, including photos of Obere Burg" (in German). 2013-01-05. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Historischer Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein - Die Burgen auf dem Schellenberg (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein - The castles on Schellenberg)" (in German). 5 March 2016. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Cornelia Herrmann (2007). Die Kunstdenkmäler des Fürstentums Liechtenstein. Das Oberland. In: Gesellschaft für Schweizerische Kunstgeschichte GSK: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Schweiz. Bern. ISBN 978-3-906131-85-6.
- "Obere Burg on Burgenwelt.de" (in German). 2016-01-22. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- "Ground plan of Obere Burg on Burgenwelt.de" (in German). 2016-01-22. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Obere Burg Castle, Schellenberg, Liechtenstein.|