|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Punjabi and Hindi|
|Hinduism and Sikhism|
|Related ethnic groups|
Oberoi is a highly prominent Khatri surname found in India's Punjab and Haryana state. They are a north Indian community that originated in the Pothohar Plateau of Punjab. This region is historically connected with the composition of the Vedas and classics like the Mahabharata and Ashtadhyayi. Most Oberois live in Jalandhar and Hoshiarpur districts of Punjab. This region is known as the Doaba. A handful of Oberois live in Chandigarh.
When Pakistan and India gained independence, most of the Oberois migrated to India from what became Pakistan. Today Oberois live in all regions of India, but are concentrated in Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
"Oberoi" belongs to Khatri caste.
- Brigadier S.R. Uberoi, Military Cross, General in the Indian Army
- Harjot Oberoi, Sikh Scholar
- Mohan Singh Oberoi, Founder of Oberoi Hotel Chain
- The actors Suresh Oberoi, his son Vivek Oberoi and nephew Akshay Oberoi
- The TV actor Karan Oberoi, no relation to the above
- Deepak Obhrai, Member of Parliament (Canada)
- Taranbir Singh Oberoi, junior tennis player
- Obi Oberoi (Technology Evangelist & Microsoft MVP, Mississauga, Canada)
- Amrita Kaur Oberoi, The worlds best daughter and Bestfriend
- Glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North West Frontier Province, by H. A. Rose, IBBETSON, Maclagan. Published by Asian Educational Services, 1990. ISBN 81-206-0505-5.
- The Amazing Khatris of Punjab by Dost Mittar, Chowk, December 11, 2005.
- Deepak Obhrai Profile -Member of Parliament (CANADA)