|The Oberoi, Mumbai.|
Interior of The Oberoi, Mumbai.
|Number of rooms||941|
|Number of suites||107|
|Number of restaurants||4|
The Oberoi and Trident are two brands of five star hotels operated and sometimes owned by the Oberoi Hotels & Resorts located in several cities in India and across the world. When located together in a single complex, they are collectively called Oberoi Trident.
Oberoi Hotels & Resorts and Trident Hotels at Mumbai are located at Nariman Point and are separately known as The Oberoi Mumbai and Trident, Nariman Point. They are both owned and managed by the Oberoi Hotels & Resorts. The two hotels are separate buildings, but are connected by a passage.
The hotels were initially known as Oberoi Towers/Oberoi Sheraton. The hotel was named as the Hilton Towers during the marketing alliance between Hilton Hotels Corporation and the Oberoi Hotels & Resorts which lasted from 2004 until April . In April 2008, the hotel was again renamed to Trident Towers.
The Oberoi Family headed by its patriarch, Mr. P.R.S. Oberoi is the majority shareholder in EIH Ltd with 32.11% stake. Cigarettes to Hotels conglomerate, ITC Limited owns approximately 14.98% stake in EIH Ltd. To ward off pressures from ITC Ltd. whose ownership stands precariously close to the automatic open offer trigger at 15%, the Oberoi family divested 14.12% stake in EIH Ltd. to Mukesh Ambani led Reliance Industries Investment and Holding Pvt Ltd. The stake sale happened on August 30, 2010 for Rs. 1,021 cores valuing EIH Ltd. at an enterprise value of Rs. 7,200 crores. Recently the stake of reliance further raised from itc and it stood at 20% overall for Reliance industries.
November 2008 terrorist attack
On November 26, 2008 The Oberoi, Mumbai & Trident, Nariman Point was taken over by terrorist organizations as a part of the 2008 Mumbai attacks. 32 staff and guests were killed during the 3-day siege.
List Of Hotels
Oberoi Hotels & Resorts
- The Oberoi, New Delhi
- The Oberoi, Bangalore
- The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata
- The Oberoi Trident, Mumbai
- The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra
- The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur
- The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur (No. 4, World Best Hotels, 2012 )
- Wildflower Hall, Shimla in the Himalayas
- The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla
- The Oberoi, Motor Vessel Vrinda, Backwater Cruiser, Kerala
- The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambore in Sawai Madhopur
- The Oberoi, Gurgaon
- The Oberoi, Mauritius
- The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, Red Sea
- The Oberoi Zahra, Luxury Nile Cruiser
- The Oberoi Philae, Nile Cruiser
In Saudi Arabia:
- The Oberoi, Madina
- Trident, Agra
- Trident, Bhubaneswar
- Trident, Chennai
- Trident, Coimbatore(under construction)
- Trident, Cochin
- Trident, Gurgaon
- Trident, Jaipur
- Trident, Bandra Kurla, Mumbai
- Trident, Nariman Point, Mumbai
- Trident, Udaipur
- Trident, Hyderabad
Other Group Hotels In India
L to R - Air India building; Trident, Nariman Point; and The Oberoi, Mumbai
- Hilton Mumbai to be named Trident Towers
- Blakely, Rhys (December 22, 2008). "A taste of defiance as massacre hotel opens for high tea". London: The Times. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- World's Best Hotels 2012 Travel and Leisure.
- explanation of nomenclature