|• Mayor||Egon Höll (SPÖ)|
|• Total||87.11 km2 (33.63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||511 m (1,677 ft)|
|• Density||8.3/km2 (22/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||+06 131|
Obertraun, Upper Austria is a village in the Salzkammergut, a region in Austria. It is located near the Hallstätter See (Hallstatt Lake) and Hoher Dachstein. Obertraun is a popular holiday destination offering activities such as skiing, snowboarding in the winter and mountain biking, swimming and kayaking in the summer.
Originally a part of the Duchy of Bavaria, the town became part of the Duchy of Austria during the 12th century. It was occupied several times during the Napoleonic Wars. Since 1918 it is part of Upper Austria and since 1921 an autonomous town (before that, it was part of Hallstatt)
In 1895 an "association for beautification of the town and advancement of tourism" was founded. That was the starting point for tourism at Obertraun. During the summer of that year, the first tourists arrive at the town. In 1947 the construction of the Dachstein Cablecar is started.
Places of interest
- Freesports Arena Krippenstein: known as freeride area with more than 30km offpiste routes. Many possible snowshoe trails. 
- Dachstein Caves: including an ice cave and a gigantic limestone cave which can be visited during summer. 
- Nature protection area Koppenwinkel
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Freesports Arena Krippenstein
- Dachstein Caves
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Obertraun.|
|This Upper Austria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|