Obituary live in Toronto, 2009
|Also known as||Executioner, Xecutioner|
|Origin||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Years active||1984–1997, 2003–present|
|Labels||Roadrunner, Candlelight, Relapse|
|Associated acts||Six Feet Under, Death, Deicide, Massacre, Denial Fiend, Tardy Brothers|
|Past members||Former members|
Obituary is an American death metal band formed in October 1984 in Tampa, Florida, United States, under the name Executioner, then changed the name's spelling to Xecutioner, and later changed their name to Obituary in 1988. The band comprises vocalist John Tardy, drummer Donald Tardy, guitarist Trevor Peres and bassist Terry Butler. The band is a fundamental act in the development of death metal music and one of the most successful death metal bands of all time.
Obituary are one of the pioneering bands of the death metal genre. Founded as Executioner in Seffner, Florida during 1984. They soon dropped the "E" from their name because of another band of the same name, becoming Xecutioner. At the time the band was composed of John Tardy (vocals), Allen West (lead guitar), JP Chartier (guitar), Jerome Grable (bass) & Donald Tardy (drums). The band released demos in 1985, 1986, and 1987, the 1985 demo as Executioner and the 1986 and 1987 demos as Xecutioner. They made their vinyl debut in 1987 with two tracks ("Find The Arise" & "Like The Dead") on the Raging Death compilation. Not long after its release, Grable was replaced with bassist Daniel Tucker. Shortly before the release of its first album the following year, Slowly We Rot, they changed their name to Obituary. The band still remains an influential piece of the Florida death metal movement that arose in the late 1980s.
After 1997's Back from the Dead album, the band had grown tired of touring, which led to the band disbanding. During the hiatus, Donald Tardy played in Andrew W.K.'s touring band (during W.K.'s appearance on Saturday Night Live Tardy wore an Obituary shirt). Allen West focused on his two projects, Lowbrow and Six Feet Under while not playing in Obituary. Trevor Peres formed Catastrophic in 2001, which released one album, The Cleansing, in that same year. Obituary reformed in 2003 and Catastrophic continued to exist alongside the reformed Obituary. A reunion album, Frozen in Time, was released in 2005. The band's first live DVD, Frozen Alive, was released in January 2007.
Obituary was signed with Candlelight Records for its next two albums, Xecutioner's Return (2007) and Darkest Day (2009), as well as the EP Left to Die (2008). A concert DVD release was also announced for January 2010. In April 2010, Obituary began work on new material for their ninth studio album Inked in Blood, which was released in October 2014. It is the first Obituary album not to be recorded with longtime bassist Frank Watkins since their 1989 debut album Slowly We Rot as well as the band's first release on Relapse Records.
Since 2012, the band have been highly involved with the promotion of a new social networking site called Unation, as well as Donald Tardy beginning a Cat Sanctuary organization called Metal Meowlisha, an organization practicing “trap-neuter-vaccinate-return”, and caring for 25 cat colonies (200 cats). In 2013, the band rebuilt their studio, and continued work on the new album, with Tardy claiming that the band's progress in the studio will be documented on the new website.
On Friday, August 2, 2013, the band launched a Kickstarter campaign with a goal of raising $10,000.00; the money raised was promised to allow Obituary to record and release their ninth album independently. The goal was met in on August 3, and is still climbing. Obituary has claimed that if the amount of money earned through the campaign extends to 20,000 dollars, the band will release a 4-part documentary style video filmed at the legendary Morrisound Recording Studios in Tampa, Florida. Morrisound is credited with the popularization of heavy metal, and its subgenre death metal. The band Obituary recorded their most popular, and still most loved albums of their career at Morrisound. The Kickstarter "Morrisound Experience" documentary is said to be shot over three days in which the band revisited their roots, and will include sets from "Slowly We Rot," "Cause of Death" and "The End Complete."
When interviewed by metal webzine All About The Rock, John Tardy said of the Kickstarter campaign, "This campaign has been awesome and just confirms again what we already know and that is that we have the greatest fans in the world. We are using Kickstarter to raise enough money to release an album on our own. This is not a bash against record companies, it is just what we want to do. Years ago this would not even be a thought, but today we feel everything is in place for us, for better or worse, give it a shot.".
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Slowly We Rot||
|Cause of Death||
|The End Complete||
|Back from the Dead||
|Frozen in Time||
|Inked in Blood||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|Left to Die||
|The Best of Obituary||
|Live Xecution Party San 2008||
|1992||"The End Complete"||
||The End Complete|
|2005||"Insane"||Michael Sarna||Frozen In Time|
|2006||"On The Floor"||
|2008||"Evil Ways"||Hart Fisher||Xecutioner's Return|
- Jason Birchmeier. "Obituary | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "It's official: Cannibal Corpse are the top-selling death metal band of the SoundScan era". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2007-10-11.
- "OBITUARY: 'Live Xecution' DVD Trailer Available - Dec. 4, 2009". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- "OBITUARY Begins Work On New Material - Apr. 20, 2010". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- "OBITUARY To Perform First Three Albums During Live Pay-Per-Event - May 31, 2013". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "OBITUARY: New Album Title Revealed - July 28, 2014". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- Victoria Oliveira (2014-09-23). "INTERVIEW: OBITUARY'". RockRevolt Magazine™.
- Hogan, Craig (August 13, 2013). "Interview with Obituary frontman John Tardy". All About the Rock. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- "Obituary - Chart history". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Obituary | Music Biography, Streaming Radio and Discography". AllMusic.com. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "OBITUARY | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". Musicline.de. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Steffen Hung. "Die Offizielle Schweizer Hitparade und Music Community". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Steffen Hung. "Dutch Charts". Dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts". Ultratop.be. 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts". Ultratop.be. 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- November 17, 2003 (2003-11-17). "It's Official: Cannibal Corpse Are The Top Selling Death Metal Band Of The Sound Scan Era". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- September 6, 2007 (2007-09-06). "Obituary: Entire New Album Available For Streaming". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- July 8, 2009 (2009-07-08). "Obituary: 'Darkest Day' First Week Sales Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- November 5, 2014 (2014-11-05). "Obituary's 'Inked In Blood' Cracks U.S. Top 100". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Strona GĹ‚Ăłwna". Metalmind.com.pl. 2015-03-31. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Obituary | Insane | Music Video". Mtv.com. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Obituary | Evil Ways | Music Video". Mtv.com. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Obituary - biography, discography, lyrics, photos, videos
- John Tardy Interview at All About The Rock Webzine
- John Tardy Interview at Diabolical Conquest Webzine
- Donald Tardy interview (2009) at Metalpaths.com
- Obituary at Roadrunner Records
- 2009 SplatterTribe.tv interview with Vocalist John Tardy