From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Obligate aerobic)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
- Obligate aerobes need oxygen to grow. In a process known as cellular respiration, these organisms use oxygen to oxidize substrates (for example sugars and fats) and generate energy.
- Facultative anaerobes use oxygen if it is available, but also have anaerobic methods of energy production.
- Microaerophiles require oxygen for energy production, but are harmed by atmospheric concentrations of oxygen (21% O2).
- Aerotolerant anaerobes do not use oxygen but are not harmed by it.
Oxygen is used during the oxidation of glucose and water is produced.
- Aerobic digestion
- Anaerobic digestion
- Facultative anaerobic organism
- Fermentation (biochemistry)
- Obligate anaerobe