|• Total||24 km2 (9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||99 m (325 ft)|
|• Density||9,300/km2 (24,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Magahi, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-BR|
Obra is a small town just 15 km away from the district headquarters on NH-98 (Garwa-Patna). Obra is also a headquarters of Obra block, under Daudnagar sub-division and a block of 144 villages having population of 220,000 (Census 2001). In Obra block there are 20 panchayats each averaging 6 villages. Block stretched in north, east and south and demarcated by Daudnagar, Rafiganj, Aurangabad blocks and in west it is Rohtas district. Mahatma Gandhi and Bihar Vibhuti Dr. Anugraha Narain Sinha came to Obra during national independence movement.
Situated on the confluence of Punpun and Adri river, the rolling topography of the town is typical, spread on the plain of the Son river bed known for its very fertile land.
Obra is located in the eastern part of India at Patna. Obra is situated in plain of River son, so the land is very fertile by nature. It is not far from Ratan hillock of Magadh range and Chhotanagpur plate of Palamu (Jharkhand).. The town is surrounded by very pleasant rivers Punpun from the western and northern part and By River Adri in Surkhi village from eastern side. River Son is flown just 8 km. west from the town. Obra is situated 114 km. from the Capital city of Bihar,
As per census 2001, population of Obra town is 12096. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Total number of male population is 6,375 and female constitutes 5,721. And the total number of households in town are 1691. Obra has an average literacy rate of 58%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 63% and, female literacy is 53%.
The economy of Obra is mainly dependent on agriculture. The vast track of fertile land in the region supports most of the families economically. Obra is also famous as the rice bowl of Magadh region. From here, the trading of food grains to all part of Bihar and Jharkhand makes Obra a big grain mandi (market), where more than 50 traders are operating their businesses. Bel road is hub of such trading activities. Obra is also well known for the production of Kaleen (carpets). The tradition of weaving beautiful and unique carpets in the town dates back to the 15th century. There is a village called Koriepur village, which has a rich history of kaleen production. In recent times, this industry is now in dying stage. The Kaleen Udyog is currently managed by the state government. Kambal (blanket) industry in Obra is another industry supported by the government. A processing plant for raw blanket has been established here for 50 years, and the trade of these kambals dates back 100 years. These sectors give employment to more than 1000 people.
The major shops are:
- Agarwal Vastralya
- Rupam Dresses
- Pardarshi fashion
1) UR(Uday Mehta)wholesale vegetable 9431452817.
Places of interest
- Devi Mandir is a spiritual place for the entire region. Nine incarnation of goddess Durga are situated there with temples of Lord Shiva,Santosi Maa,Gayatri Maa and Hanuman. People have faith here for the fulfillment of their beliefs.
- Doomuhan- This place famous for the confluence of Punpun river and Adri river. It is a beautiful scenic peace zonearea surrounded by trees all around. Very ancient temples of lord Shiva, Vishnu and goddess are still there as attraction.
- Kali Mandir is a spiritual place for the entire region. Nine incarnation of goddess Durga are situated here with temples of Lord Shiva and Hanuman. People have faith here for the fulfillment of their beliefs. it's known as kranti chowk."kranti chowk is very famous in aurangabad district.kranti chowk is a group of young boy's , do all type of social work and fight against wrong things..
- Sahid Jagapati Smarak(kharanti)- A commemorate for young freedom fighter for Indian Independence.
- Daulatpur Ganj (GANJ )- 2 km of south from Obra. Near shiv temple and petrol pump Dewkali.
- Manora Village - Lord Buddha stayed there for consecutively 3 days. Also famous for Hindu, Budh temples and manora sarif dargah.
- Ayodhaya Bigha village is nearest Manora village.
- Surkhi village is nearest and Eastern side in Obra.
- jhanjhu is famous for drinking like tarkularist and bathing in Adri river.
- surya mandir road -A spiritual place for the entire region. Nine incarnation of Chhat puja are situated here with temples of Lord.
- Durga chowk is a temple in durga puja
- Mazar in femous masjid on the obra town
- durga chowk mazar road on main market is kirana, cloth, books, JARI BUTI, hotel, etc. (kunal kumar) kharanti village- near NH-98 bank on pun-pun river, where fair held at every.
- tendua harkesh village lies in kanchanpur panchayat near dihara it has small sun Temple southern part of village near small pond on chatth puja there held small fair
- shanti nagar muhalla is located behind of obra block and infront of devi mandir and this road is goes on kurma and kurmi and further joint through patna aurangabad road NH-98.
- LCT group-Headquarters at Obra Block Office, It is a well known social group among boys at block colony.This group has many leading social activists.
There is no facilities for college education in Obra, so students of this region depends for college education to District Town Auranagabad. But there are few good schools are here
- STONEHILL.I.School, devimandir Obra
- B.L. Indo Anglian Public School, NH-98(Patna Road)
- Boys High School
- Girls High School
- Middle School
- Sahid Jagatpati School
- N.A.V. Convent
- Lord Buddha Gyan Bharti School
- Anandmath Deenbandhu Residential school Behind Boys high schhol
- The Pathshala (Play School), The only play school in the town situated near Devi Mandir
- Aadarsh Computer Institute (ACI) is oldest Computer Institute with its website www.aciobra.com
- Excellent Cochinng Center, obra (E.C.C). By - Sunil kumar, Near Kaali mandir
- Indian coaching center opp-obra police station
- Maa Laxmi ITI, Bel Road, Obra
- sanjay singh yadav college chapri, Obra
Particularly in Obra, Health facility are very good in comparative to other blocks in Aurangabad District. Government hospital in Obra is very well managed. It is located near to Bel more on NH-98. The hospital has emergency wards and facility of night treatment is also catered over here. Apart from the government hospital some of very renowned Physicians (Doctors) of the District are serving the local population. Few of these are:
- Dr. Badri Narayan Gupta ( General Physicians)
- Dr. Shankar Bose (General physicians)
- Dr. Arvind Kumar Sharma ( Child)
- Dr. Ramadhar Singh
- Dr. Bhagwat Singh
- Dr. Upendra verma
- Dr. Jawahar prasad singh (vet)
- Dr. Shashikant Kumar (DHMS)
More than 20 medical halls are serving the need of locals here. Some of them are:
- Ganesh Medical Hall(The very few Medical hall from the beginning till date )
- Pal Homeo Hall, Dr. Ram pravesh pal, Near old pnb bank
- Hansa Medical Hall
- Awantika Medical Hall
- Bihar medical Hall
- Sona medical(vet) Hall
- Ujjawal medical Hall
- gireejesh sharma obra
- Janta Medical Hall, Near Gov. Hospital
- chandan medical hall
Obra town lies on NH-98 and just 14 km from NH-2 (Grand Trunk Road), So the connectivity of town with all major cities in state as well as all part of district is very good. Obra lies in between District town Aurangabad and Subdivision town Daudnagar with equi distance of 15 km each on NH so both town are connected by many buses, auto and trekers. Long distance such as Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Bokaro, Dhanbad, Daltonganj and other part of Jharkhand are directly connected with daily buses and for Patna (114 km) more than dozens of buses plying apart from many Tata Sumo and Tata Wingers.
Obra is well connected by Indian Railways through entire nation. Just 4 km from the town New Delhi-Howrah main Grand Chord line passes. Nearby station of Obra town is Anugrah Narayan Road station is just 5 km from the town so there are more 50 train including express and passenger trains passes daily. Near about dozen of trains for National Capital Delhi and the same number of trains are available for Kolkata are commuting daily. A.N.Road Station is just 69 km from Gaya and 135 km from Varanasi. Most of the express trains are halting here except Rajdhani exp. So it is well connected with all part of the state as well nation.
There is no direct connectivity with air services but nearest International airport is Bodhgaya (70 km) and Domestic is Patna (114 km).
There are few lodges over here but not in good condition for staying so it is better to stay in Aurangabad (15 km).