Obscure (video game)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
|Publisher(s)||DreamCatcher Interactive, MC2-Microïds|
ObsCure is a survival horror video game developed by Hydravision Entertainment and published by DreamCatcher Interactive in North America, Ubisoft in China and MC2-Microïds in other territories for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2 and Xbox. It was released on October 1, 2004 in Europe and North America on April 6, 2005.
Strange things are happening at Leafmore High. Three teenagers set out to search for their missing friend. Finding themselves locked inside the school overnight, they now have to get to the bottom of the strange occurrences.
The player controls the five teenagers as they explore the school and battle a number of different types of infected students. The students discover that the enemies are sensitive to light, with direct sunlight being able to destroy them. Flashlights help to slightly weaken their foes and the malevolent black aura surrounding them.
The students discover a conspiracy involving injections turning students into mutated monsters, mostly experimentations based on a rare plant spore, with the possibility to allow people to live forever. It is discovered that the nurse, Elisabeth, and principal, Herbert, are over 100 years old but seem only to be in their 60s, thanks to the tests they performed on each other.
The students later come across Herbert, who is killed by a teacher seeking to cure himself of the infection caused by Herbert's experiments. Herbert's twin, Leonard, sees his dead brother and becomes angry. He murders the teacher and then leaves the teenagers to defeat the biggest mutant seen yet.
After defeating him, they return to the gym and inject themselves with the cure. However, Leonard returns and after a battle, Leonard gives into the sunlight and everything is back to normal.
ObsCure gives players the ability to control and switch between any of five playable characters. Given that he or she will be playing in pairs of characters, the other characters will be computer-controlled, or a second player can join in at any time.
- Josh Carter (voiced by Sam Riegel) - A shy and reserved reporter for the school paper. He can tell if there's anything left to do in an area, such as items to pick up, or locations that advance the storyline.
- Stanley Jones (voiced by Scott Haze) - A stoner who does drugs, and is good friends with Josh and Kenny. He is a thief and computer hacker. He is able to pick locks easier and break into rooms.
- Kenny Matthews (voiced by Liam O'Brien) - He is the varsity athlete, and Shannon's older brother.
- Shannon Matthews (voiced by Stephanie Sheh) - Kenny's smart younger sister. Shannon dresses provocatively to take the focus away from her intelligence. She provides tips on puzzles and heals wounds. She is able to heal 20% more with a normal health item.
- Ashley Thompson (voiced by Tara Platt) - She is a cheerleader, and Kenny's girlfriend. She has the ability to rapid fire a pistol, and deals more damage with most weapons.
ObsCure has a two-player cooperative mode that allows the player to complete the campaign with a friend. ObsCure also allows players to combine items, for example taping a flashlight to any firearm. Some critics, including X-Play, have stated that this was the only redeeming quality, and mocked id's Doom 3 for not implementing such a concept.
While each character has special abilities, none of them are necessary to complete the game. Each character can perform the same physical acts even if it takes some characters longer and/or more effort than others. If any characters die during the adventure, the player may simply continue with those remaining.
24 tracks, written and produced by Olivier Derivière.
- Main Titles
- Empty School
- Something Hidden
- First Ones
- Blowing Up a Wall
- Being Surrounded
- Herbert Friedman
- Who is Herbert?
- Wickson, the Nurse
- Infested Place
- Give Us Eternity
- The First Queen
- Pure Suite
- Wickson and Leonard
- The Second Queen
- Gardener's Story
- Herbert's Secret Office
- Old Movie
- Friedman's Place
- Finding Leo
- Final Fight
- Leonard's Death
- End Titles
There are also two tracks that play during the game that are not in the official soundtrack.
- "Still Waiting" performed by Sum 41
- "Baby's Come Back" performed by Span, but by mistake, the song in the Bonus Menu is "Don't Think The Way They Do" performed also by Span
In the German version there were many songs from Sportfreunde Stiller. The Spanish version of the game features the song Supersonica performed by Dawholeenchilada for its ending credits. The music video for the song is unlockable as a bonus for completing the game. The French version of the game features the song Cinglés performed by Enhancer for its ending credits. The music video for the song is unlockable as a bonus for completing the game.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2015)|
ObsCure II takes place two years later. The kids who survived are now at college living normal lives. They discover a strange plant on campus and things start going awry. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, Wii and PlayStation Portable. The franchise was abruptly halted due to the closure of Hydravision, who had intended to do a sequel and possibly a prequel. However, Final Exam is supposedly a reboot of the series and was released to Xbox Live in November 2013.
- DreamCatcher Ships Obscure From Gamespot
- Hydravision: Games
- June 2005, p.127
- Nov 2004, p.106
- May 2005, p.50