|Industry||Online and Print media|
|Headquarters||Manhattan, New York City, US|
|Joseph Meyer (CEO, Observer Media), Merin Curotto, James Karklins (President) Dana Schwartz, Tim Ferriss, James Altucher, Nir Eyal, Robin Seemangal|
Observer Media is an American online media company. The company was formed through several acquisitions, including acquisition of the New York Observer in 2007. Observer Media is based in lower Manhattan, New York City, and had been owned by businessman Jared Kushner, until Joseph Meyer was named owner and publisher in January 2017.. It currently publishes the Commercial Observer, observer.com, and Commercialobserver.com. As of November 2016, Observer Media announced it would no longer print the New York Observer. The observer.com site is a consolidation of several notable online properties, including The Gallerist, BetaBeat, NY Politicker, and PolitickerNJ.
In 2007, Jared Kushner began acquiring and merging several print and online media publications into the Observer brand, including New York Observer, BetaBeat, Gallerist, NY Politicker, SCENE Magazine, and PolitickerNJ. These acquisitions became integrated into the website observer.com (Gallerist was integrated in September 2014, PolitickerNY in March 2014, BetaBeat in January 2015, and PolitickerNJ in August 2016).
In March 2012, Observer Media launched Commercial Observer, a commercial real estate publication. The organization has since received various awards, including "NAREE's 65th Annual Real Estate Journalism" award, "Best Team Report Silver" award (2013), and "Best Weekly Newspaper Report Silver" award (2014). The Commercial Observer publishes at commercialobserver.com, and also publishes weekly print edition.
The Observer Media online site includes four main content categories: News & Politics, Arts & Entertainment, Business & Technology, and Style & Design. Observer Media discontinued a print edition called the New York Observer in November 2016.
In April 2016, former Editor-in-chief Ken Kurson was criticized for providing "input" to Donald Trump in a speech given at the annual AIPAC conference. The Observer was also criticized in 2014 for an investigative piece on former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. In July 2016, Observer staff journalist Dana Schwartz published an open letter to her boss Jared Kushner criticizing him for his involvement in Donald Trump's (Kushner's father-in-law) presidential campaign. Shortly thereafter, Kushner responded to the letter defending his contributions to Trump's presidential campaign. Both articles were widely circulated in social media, and attracted attention from various media outlets.
- Bloomgarden-Smoke, Kara (May 30, 2017). "Jared Kushner's Observer Lays Off Staffers". WWD. WWD.
- Guaglione, Sara (January 10, 2018). "Observer Media Hires James Karklins As President". MediaPost Communications. MediaPost.
- "The Education of a Publisher". The New York Times. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Jared Kushner Names Brother-in-Law New York Observer CEO". New York Magazine. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "How Jared Kushner Became Donald Trump's Mini-Me". Vanity Fair. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Jared Kushner's Trump Card". Bloomberg. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Jared Kushner's Second Act". The Esquire. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Who Is Ivanka Trump's Husband? Jared Kushner Is A Success In His Own Right". Romper. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- McAlone, Nathan (January 9, 2017). "Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner will step down as publisher of the Observer, and have no 'ownership stake'". Business Insider. Business Insider.
- "Ivanka and Jared's Power Play". The New Yorker. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Kushner praised Wildstein after Bridgegate resignation: lawyer". The Real Deal. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "New York Observer loses top reporter over Trump coverage". CNN. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Jared Kushner". Huffington Post. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Observer Media Group Launches New Real Estate Site: LivingThere.com". The Observer. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "A New 'Observer'". Politico. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Albanese to NY Observer". New York Post. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "The New York Observer Lost Its Pink Paper Today". Animal New York. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Developer Jared Kushner Sells Puck Building Penthouse for $28 Million". Mansion Global. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "A Brief History of the 'New York Observer' as Reported by the 'Times'". The Awl. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Web site's 'bris' cartoon offends politicians, ADL". NJ Jewish News. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "New York Observer Starts a Paper on Real Estate". The New York Times. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "NAREE's 65th Annual Real Estate Journalism Award Winners". Naree. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Real Estate's Best News Outlets: Reporters from Bloomberg, Inman News, HomeSource, The New York Times, Virginian Pilot, AJC Win Big at NAREE". SkyLine Views. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "7th annual Pulse Healthcare Conference: Facilities of the Future". New York EventsList. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- Elstein, Aaron (January 8, 2018). "Kushners' Observer Media names new president". Crain's New York Business. Crain Communications. Crain's NY Business.
- "New York Observer Editor Doesn't Regret Involvement With Donald Trump's AIPAC Speech". Huffington Post. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "A New York Observer Article Brings a Spat in Trump's Orbit". New York Times. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "An Open Letter to Jared Kushner, From One of Your Jewish Employees". The Observer. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Jared Kushner: The Donald Trump I Know". The Observer. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "A Conversation with Dana Schwartz, Who Just Called Out Her Trump-Supporting Boss". Squire. Retrieved October 12, 2016.