The Oceans Seven is a marathon swimming challenge consisting of seven open water channel swims. It was devised in 2008 as the swimming equivalent of the Seven Summits mountaineering challenge. It includes the North Channel, the Cook Strait, the Molokaʻi Channel, the English Channel, the Catalina Channel, the Tsugaru Strait and the Strait of Gibraltar.
List of successful completions
The LongSwims Database maintains a list of swimmers who have completed the challenge:
|Stephen Redmond||Ireland||First ever to complete all seven swims|
|Michelle Macy||United States|
|Darren Miller||United States|
|Adam Walker||United Kingdom|||
|Kimberley Chambers||New Zealand|
|Ion Lazarenco-Tiron||Republic of Moldova|
|Rohan Dattatrey More||India||First Asian|
|Abhejali Bernardová||Czech Republic||First from a landlocked country|
|Cameron Bellamy||South Africa||First South African|
|Lynton Mortensen||Australia||First Australian|
|Thomas “Fleppy” Pembroke||Australia||Youngest (29 years)|
|Nora Toledano Cadena||Mexico|
|Mariel Hawley Dávila||Mexico|
|Jonathan Ratcliffe||United Kingdom|||
An alternative definition of the Oceans Seven is one channel from each of the seven continents, just as the Seven Summits refers to the highest summit on each of the seven continents. For this definition, the list would include a South American channel and a swim in Antarctica. For example, Lynne Cox has swum channels in 6 continents and swam for 25 minutes in Antarctica.
- Tim Moss (7 September 2014). "What are the Oceans Seven?". TheNextChallenge.Org. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Oceans Seven Swimmers". Oceans Seven. Marathon Swimmers Federation. Retrieved 8 July 2019.
- O'Connell, Hugh (15 July 2012). "Irish swimmer completes gruelling open water challenge". The Journal. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Open-ocean swimmer Adam Walker: 'Hardest swim of my life'". BBC News. BBC. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- Adam Skolnik (5 August 2017). "In a Swimmer's Two-Year Quest, a Final 21-Mile Challenge". New York Times. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Pune swimmer world's youngest to complete Ocean 7 Challenge". Inshorts - Stay Informed. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "Cameron Bellamy Does Oceans Seven, South African 1st". dailynews.openwaterswimming.com. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Munatones, Steven. "Indomitable: Sea Bull Completes The Oceans Seven". Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Unknown (11 Dec 2019). "Oundle dad becomes 19th person in history to complete gruelling global swim challenge". Peterborough Telegraph. Retrieved 11 Dec 2019.
- Sataline, Suzanne (2010); "Extreme Swimmers Accept the Challenge of 'Oceans Seven'"; Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 16, 2010.