The Oceans Seven is a marathon swimming challenge consisting of seven open water channel swims. It was devised in 2008 as the swimming equivalent of the Seven Summits mountaineering challenge. It includes the North Channel, the Cook Strait, the Molokaʻi Channel, the English Channel, the Catalina Channel, the Tsugaru Strait and the Strait of Gibraltar.
List of Oceans Seven swims
- The North Channel: between Ireland and Scotland, 21 miles (34 km)
- The Cook Strait: between New Zealand’s North and South Islands, 16 miles (26 km)
- The Moloka’i Channel: between Moloka’i and O’ahu, 27 miles (44 km)
- The English Channel: between England and France, 21 miles (34 km)
- The Catalina Channel: between Santa Catalina Island and Los Angeles, 20 miles (32 km)
- The Tsugaru Strait: between the Japanese islands of Honshu and Hokkaido, 12 miles (20 km)
- The Strait of Gibraltar: between Spain and Morocco, 10 miles (16 km)
List of successful completions
The LongSwims Database maintains a list of swimmers who have completed the challenge:
|Stephen Redmond||Ireland||First ever to complete all seven swims|
|Michelle Macy||United States|
|Darren Miller||United States|
|Adam Walker||United Kingdom|||
|Kimberley Chambers||New Zealand|
|Ion Lazarenco-Tiron||Republic of Moldova|
|Rohan Dattatrey More||India||First Asian|
|Abhejali Bernardová||Czech Republic||First from a landlocked country|
|Cameron Bellamy||South Africa||First South African|
|Lynton Mortensen||Australia||First Australian|
|Thomas “Fleppy” Pembroke||Australia||Youngest (29 years)|
|Nora Toledano Cadena||Mexico|
|Mariel Hawley Dávila||Mexico|
|Attila Mányoki||Hungary||The best total time (until 2019)|
|Jonathan Ratcliffe||United Kingdom|||
- Tim Moss (7 September 2014). "What are the Oceans Seven?". TheNextChallenge.Org. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Oceans Seven Swimmers". Oceans Seven. Marathon Swimmers Federation. Retrieved 8 March 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- O'Connell, Hugh (15 July 2012). "Irish swimmer completes gruelling open water challenge". The Journal. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Open-ocean swimmer Adam Walker: 'Hardest swim of my life'". BBC News. BBC. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Adam Skolnik (5 August 2017). "In a Swimmer's Two-Year Quest, a Final 21-Mile Challenge". New York Times. Retrieved 5 August 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pune swimmer world's youngest to complete Ocean 7 Challenge". Inshorts - Stay Informed. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "Cameron Bellamy Does Oceans Seven, South African 1st". dailynews.openwaterswimming.com. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Munatones, Steven. "Indomitable: Sea Bull Completes The Oceans Seven". Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Unknown (11 Dec 2019). "Oundle dad becomes 19th person in history to complete gruelling global swim challenge". Peterborough Telegraph. Retrieved 11 Dec 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "'Sea Donkey' Adrian Sarchet completes Oceans Seven challenge". ITV News. 1 March 2020. Retrieved 2020-03-02.
- Sataline, Suzanne (2010); "Extreme Swimmers Accept the Challenge of 'Oceans Seven'"; Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 16, 2010.