Ocean Beach, New York
|Incorporated Village of Ocean Beach|
|• Total||0.14 sq mi (0.37 km2)|
|• Land||0.14 sq mi (0.37 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||588.65/sq mi (226.76/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||631 Exchange: 583|
|GNIS feature ID||0959211|
The village is a popular tourist destination, due to its beachfront location accompanied by a commercial district featuring nightlife, hotels, bayfront restaurants and a variety of stores. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 79.
Ocean Beach was incorporated as a village in 1921. It was the location of Fire Island's first elementary school, which opened in 1918. The community was once a favorite of celebrities including Fanny Brice, Carl Reiner, and Mel Brooks.
There are four methods to travel to Ocean Beach and throughout Fire Island: travel by car (restricted by permit obtainable via Fire Island National Seashore), ride the Fire Island Ferries, take a water taxi, or arrive by private boat. It is also possible to reach Ocean Beach by foot or bicycle from other Fire Island communities, by one of the inland walks or on the beach.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2000 census there were 138 people, 61 households, and 35 families in the village. The population density was 967.1 people per square mile (380.6/km²). There were 595 housing units at an average density of 4,169.6 per square mile (1,640.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 96.38% White and 1.45% Asian. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.17%.
Of the 61 households 29.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.9% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.6% were non-families. 29.5% of households were one person and 4.9% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.91.
The age distribution was 21.7% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 32.6% from 25 to 44, 31.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% 65 or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females, there were 126.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 120.4 males.
The median household income was $48,125 and the median family income was $49,375. Males had a median income of $41,719 versus $28,750 for females. The per capita income for the village was $28,782. There were 15.2% of families and 11.5% of the population living below the poverty line, including 21.6% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 27, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ocean Beach village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- Koppelman, Lee; Forman, Seth (2008). The Fire Island National Seashore. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press. p. 10. ISBN 978-0-7914-7342-9. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- "Brett King". Internet Movie Data Base. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ocean Beach, New York.|
Ocean Bay Park
|Beaches of Fire Island||Succeeded by|