Ocean Beach, New York
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Incorporated Village of Ocean Beach|
|• Total||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||510/sq mi (200/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||631 Exchange: 583|
|GNIS feature ID||0959211|
Ocean Beach was incorporated as a village in 1921. It was the location of Fire Island's first elementary school, which opened in 1918. The community was once a favorite of celebrities such as Fanny Brice, Carl Reiner, and Mel Brooks.
There are four ways to get to the community (and the island in general). Travel by car (restricted), ride the Fire Island Ferries, take a water taxi, or arrive by private boat. It is also possible to reach Ocean Beach by foot or bicycle from other Fire Island communities, by one of the inland walks or on the beach.
As of the census of 2000, there were 138 people, 61 households, and 35 families residing in the village. The population density was 967.1 people per square mile (380.6/km²). There were 595 housing units at an average density of 4,169.6 per square mile (1,640.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 96.38% White and 1.45% Asian. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.17% of the population.
There were 61 households out of which 29.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.9% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.6% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the village the population was spread out with 21.7% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 32.6% from 25 to 44, 31.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 126.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 120.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $48,125, and the median income for a family was $49,375. Males had a median income of $41,719 versus $28,750 for females. The per capita income for the village was $28,782. There were 15.2% of families and 11.5% of the population living below the poverty line, including 21.6% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ocean Beach village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- Koppelman, Lee; Forman, Seth (2008). The Fire Island National Seashore. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press. p. 10. ISBN 0-7914-7342-2. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- "Brett King". Internet Movie Data Base. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ocean Beach, New York.|