Ocean Lakes High School
|Ocean Lakes High School|
|885 Schumann Drive|
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Virginia Beach City Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Aaron C. Spence|
|Principal||Dr. Claire R. LeBlanc|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue, Silver, White, and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League|
|Rival||Kellam High School|
Ocean Lakes High School (OLHS) is a public high school in Virginia Beach, Virginia and is located in the city's southeastern section.
Math and Science Academy
A notable feature of Ocean Lakes high school is the Math and Science Academy, started in 1996 as the first of several magnet programs in Virginia Beach. Students throughout Virginia Beach who are interested in a math and science education can apply for admission to the Academy. Students Enrolled in the Academy take advanced courses in math, science, and English. By graduation, seniors in the Math and Science Academy must take at least calculus in math, and complete a "senior project". The senior project requires the student to either conduct a mentorship or research project in a math or science field. The student must then write either three case studies or a research paper and give a powerpoint presentation on the work accomplished. Entry in the program requires completion of Algebra I prior to enrollment, positive instructor recommendations, above average grades, and excellent performance on an aptitude test.
Ranking and Critical Response
Ocean Lakes is one of five Virginia Beach high schools ranked in the top 1200 in Newsweek's 2006 ranking of American high schools.
Clubs and organizations
- ACE Volleyball Club
- American Sign Language Club
- American Sign Language National Honor Society
- Arab Culture Club
- Art Club
- Asian Culture Club
- Badminton Club
- Ballroom Dance Club
- Book & Movie Review Club
- Boys Soccer Club
- Chess Club
- Chorus Club
- Color Guard
- Computer Club
- Creative Writing
- Crew Club
- Crime Solvers
- Dance Team
- Debate Team
- Destination Imagination
- Dolphin Splash Video Production Club
- Electronic Entertainment Club
- Environmental Club
- Forensics Team
- French Club
- French Honor Society
- Freshman Class
- Frisbee Club
- Future Educators of America (FEA)
- Family, Career, & Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance)
- German Club
- German Honor Society
- Girls Soccer Club
- Gymnastics Club
- Japanese Club
- Japanese Honor Society
- Jazz Band
- Junior Class
- Key Club
- Lacrosse Club (Boys)
- Latin Club
- Latin Honor Society
- Literary Arts Magazine (EBB Tide)
- Math & Science Academy Club
- Medical Club (HOSA)
- Meteorology Club
- Model General Assembly
- Mu Alpha Theta
- Muggle Quidditch Club
- National Honor Society
- National Art Honor Society
- Newspaper (The Current))
- Ocean Lakes Marching Band
- Operation Smile
- Ping Pong Club
- Pumpkin Chunkin' Club
- Rod and Reel Club
- Russian Club
- Scholastic Bowl Team
- School Store (Dolphin Cove)
- Science Club
- Science Competition Club
- Senior Class
- Ski & Snowboarding Club
- Small Engines Club
- Sophomore Class
- Spanish Club
- Spanish Honor Society
- Step Club
- Stop Hunger Now Club
- Student Cooperative Association(SCA)
- Student Relay for Life Team
- Student Trainers
- Surf Club
- Technology Student Association
- Theatre company
- Wrestling Club
- Yearbook (Sandstone)
Ocean Lakes students participate in the following sports:
- Fall- Cheerleading, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Volleyball, Marching Band
- Winter- Cheerleading, Basketball, Gymnastics, Wrestling, Indoor Track, Swimming/Diving
- Spring- Baseball, Soccer, Tennis, Track, Softball, Lacrosse
In 2006, the competition cheerleading team won the Beach District and Regional competitions and were competitors in the State Competition. In 2007, the competition cheerleading team placed 2nd in the Beach District, 4th in the Eastern Region, and 6th in the State competitions. In 2008, the competition cheerleading team placed 1st in Beach District and finished in 5th in Eastern Region.
The 1999-2000 team was Ocean Lakes' most successful team to that point, placing fourth in the VHSL tournament. Today, Ocean Lakes remains successful in Scholastic Bowl, placing second to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in the Group AAA state Tournament for the 2005-06 season.
The 2011-2012 Dolphins team placed first in the Beach District and Eastern Regional Tournaments. They later proceeded to place 6th in the AAA State Tournament. They also won the Virginia Duals American High School Division.
In 2012, the Dolphins football team advanced to the VHSL State Championship game, but lost to L.C. Bird, 14-10. In 2014, Ocean Lakes returned to the championship game, and defeated Centerville in overtime, 30-24.
- Bill Bray - baseball player
- Mike Ballard - baseball player
- Marcus Davis - football player
- Randall Dunn - football player
- Eli Harold - football player
- Justin Hunter - football player
- Scotty McGee - football player
- Shamarko Thomas - football player
- Shawn Morimando - MLB pitcher for the Cleveland Indians
- "Ocean Lakes High". Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- "Academy". Ocean Lakes High School. Archived from the original on 30 April 2006. Retrieved 14 June 2006.
- "The Complete List: 1,200 Top U.S. Schools". What Makes a High School Great?. Newsweek. 2006. Retrieved 21 June 2006.
- "Ocean Lakes grad Bill Bray retires". Virginian-Pilot. March 16, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Radford, Rich. "Local lefties Ballard, Rapada right at home with Tides". Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Rubama, Larry (April 24, 2013). "Va. Beach school may have 5 ex-players in NFL draft". Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Rubama, Larry (July 18, 2013). "Former stars return to Ocean Lakes". Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Titans draft ex-Ocean Lakes receiver Justin Hunter". Associated Pres. Virginian-Pilot. April 26, 2013. Retrieved April 29, 2014.