This article relies too much on references to primary sources. Please improve this by adding secondary or tertiary sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Scuba equipment manufacturing|
|Products||Dive computers, rebreathers|
Oceanic is an American manufacturer of scuba gear. It was founded by Bob Hollis in 1972 and is based in San Leandro, California, United States. Its products include dive computers, rebreathers and a novel diving mask incorporating a heads-up-display of information.
In 1972, Robert Hollis founded the parent company American Underwater Products which did business as Oceanic. In 2017, Huish Outdoors acquired the Oceanic and Hollis brands from AUP.
They developed the Phibian CCS50 and CCS100 rebreathers; Stuart Clough of Undersea Technologies developed the Phibian's electronics package. With its purpose-built training facility, Oceanic UK working closely with American Divers International, developed and delivered by both Stuart Clough and Paul Morrall training and familiarisation courses.
Oceanic developed the first HUD style mask, which is an eyes-and-nose diving mask with a built-in LCD display, commercially known as a DataMask, capable of providing various dive data from an on-board diving computer.
- OC1, OCi
- VT 4.1
- Atom 3.1
- Geo 2.0 Wrist Computer
- VEO 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
- B.U.D. Back up dive computer
Wetsuit for a penguin
The company developed, in early 2008, a custom wetsuit for an alpha-male African penguin at Steinhart Aquarium who was suffering from problems maintaining core body temperature due to feather loss.
- Gilliam, Bret (2012). "Bob Hollis and Oceanic celebrate 40 years". Submerged Magazine - The Divers Guide - Issue 01. Australian Underwater Products. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Dowsett, Kathy (1 June 2017). "Oceanic and Hollis sold to Huish Outdoors". The Scuba News Canada. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- UK Diving Equipment
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-02-19. Retrieved 2009-01-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Oceanic Datamask HUD". Dive Magazine (UK). Archived from the original on 2007-07-26. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "Dive News - Oceanic Creates Custom Wetsuit for African Penguin Named Pierre!". Dive News. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
|This diving-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United States manufacturing company–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|