Oceans of Kansas (book)
|Author||Michael J. Everhart|
|Publisher||Indiana University Press|
|LC Class||QE766 .E89 2005|
In Oceans of Kansas Everhart discusses the state of the land during the Late Cretaceous and earlier, when the area was covered with water. The geologic record shows that ancient lifeforms such as marine reptiles, pteranodons, and toothed birds inhabited the general area both in and out of the water. Everhart also covers the discovery of the fossils and geographic records as well as the competition between E. D. Cope and O. C. Marsh to collect them.
Oceans of Kansas has received multiple critical reviews, with Jeffrey V. Yule stating that "Oceans of Kansas offers a well researched and often engaging account of the paleobiology of the Western Interior Seaway...". Jonathan Hendricks noted that while the book's "intended audience is not entirely clear... as a needed summary of our knowledge about the fossils found in the Cretaceous rocks of western Kansas and elsewhere in the Great Plains, Everhart's book is a success."
- The Editors (27 May 2003). "2003 Sci/Tech Web Awards: Anthropology and Paleontology". Scientific American. 288.
- Staff (1 August 2003). "NetWatch: Best of the Web in science". Science. 301 (5633): 573. doi:10.1126/science.301.5633.573d.
- Intute Staff. "Oceans of Kansas Paleontology - Full Record Details". Intute. Archived from the original on 26 July 2012.
- Bayless, Mark K. The Quarterly Review of Biology Vol. 81, No. 1. The University of Chicago Press, 2006. pp. 57-58.M
- O'keefe, F. Robin. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, Vol. 26, No. 1. 2006, pp. 228-229.
- Yule, Jefferey V. (2007). "Book Review: Oceans of Kansas: A Natural History of the Western Interior Sea". Copeia. 2007 (2): 498–500. doi:10.1643/0045-8511(2007)7[498:OOKANH]2.0.CO;2.
- Hendricks, Jonathan (2006). "Book Review of Oceans of Kansas: A Natural History of the Western Interior Sea by Michael J. Everhart". Great Plains Research: A Journal of Natural and Social Sciences. University of Nebraska. 16 (2): 203.
|This article about a paleontology-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an education-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|