Oceanside High School (New York)
|Oceanside High School|
3160 Skillman Ave
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||Oceanside School District|
|NCES District ID||3621570|
|Superintendent||Phyllis S. Harrington Ed.D.|
|NCES School ID||362157003059|
|Dean||A. Caiazza and A. Zambrano|
|Average class size||15 Students|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.7:1|
Blue and White
|Athletics conference||Conference 1 Nassau Section 8|
|Rival||Farmingdale High School, Massapequa High School|
Oceanside High School was ranked #424 in America in 2012.
The school was Initially built on Merle Avenue, but moved to its current location on Skillman Avenue in 1955 and expanded to its current size in 1962. The school features some of the best, and highest paid teachers on Long Island. The school's mascot is the Sailor and teams compete countywide in a variety of sports. The principal is Geraldine DiCarlo, who was promoted from Associate Principal and replaced Mark Secaur in 2013. Oceanside High School is the hub of all activities in the community. Being the only high school in its town it brings much unity. This school has some of the best technology in America, such as iPads and Chromebooks for every student. Also Apple TV and Smart Boards in every classroom. The Broadcast Program has collaborated with MSG Varsity, as most local schools have, and has been featured on some of their programming.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,782 students and 130.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.7:1. There were 152 students (8.5% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 32 (1.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Its football team, the Oceanside Sailors, went to the Long Island County championship in the 2015 season and again in their 2017 season.
- Jay Fiedler was a quarterback in the NFL for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1994–1995, the Minnesota Vikings in 1998, and the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1999. He then played for the Miami Dolphins from 2000 to 2004. In 2005 he signed with New York Jets and suffered a shoulder injury which would be the end of his professional career.
- Art Heyman (1941–2012), American basketball player
- Bob Iger, chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) of The Walt Disney Company
- Dennis Leonard (born 1951), pitcher for the Kansas City Royals in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
- Randy Levine (born 1955), attorney and the president of the New York Yankees baseball club
- Stephen Robert Morse (born 1985), journalist and film director/producer
- Nicky Polanco (born 1980), lacrosse player
- Marian Thurm (born 1952), author of short stories and novels
- School data for School 7-Oceanside Senior High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- "SCHOOL 7-OCEANSIDE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 16, 2019.
- "America's Best High Schools 2012". Newsweek. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- "Glauber: Coaching suits LI's Jay Fiedler".
- Financial Post: "Here’s what 13 successful CEOs looked like in high school" by Alison Griswold December 14, 2013
|This New York (state) school–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|