Ochs und junior
Ochs und junior AG is a Swiss watch manufacturer based in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, which is specialised on producing mechanical wristwatches. The company was founded in 2006 by Beat Weinmann and Ludwig Oechslin, a universal scholar and watchmaker. The Ulysse Nardin watch company became a shareholder of Ochs und junior AG in 2012.
The focus of the collection is on astronomical complications (i.e. moon and sun displays) and calendar displays, including perpetual and annual calendars. In contrast to the classic watch industry, the main emphasis is not on creating complicated solutions, but rather on keeping the solutions as simple as possible.
As an example, Ochs und junior AG's moon phase display is accurate to 3478.27 years (after that the display will theoretically deviate from reality by one day) – making it one of the most accurate moon phase displays in the world. This is achieved using an epicyclic gear train consisting of only five components, including the dial.
Build on basic movements bought in from Swiss watch companies ETA or Ulysse Nardin, the final products are created by adding specially-developed modules. All other components, such as caseings and straps, are also designed in-house.
Although Ochs und junior AG handle the research, development and construction design themselves, the individual components used (gearwheels, case, crown, straps, dial, etc.) are manufactured by highly-specialized external subcontractors – with full transparency.
The watches are assembled by Ochs und junior AG's own watchmakers in their workshop in La Chaux-de-Fonds, which also serves as a salesroom.
The watches are designed strictly according to their function. For example, the dials themselves form an integral part of the movement construction. Due to this design philosophy and the high-precision manufacturing process involved, no further finishing, such as polishing the casing, is carried out.
In general, neither special lettering nor the company logo are used. The only exception is the embossing of the logo on the inside of the leather straps.
Company size and sales channels
With currently sales of approximately 130 watches per year (as of December 2018), Ochs und junior AG is a niche manufacturer. The products are sold exclusively through the company's headquarters in La Chaux-de-Fonds – both on site or via the Internet.
Depending on the model and configuration concerned, sales prices range between approx. CHF 6,000 and CHF 21,600 – and can be even higher, if special requests are accommodated. This puts Ochs und Junior AG watches in the upper price range of the luxury watch market segment.
- "CV Ludwig Oechslin" (PDF). www.ochsundjunior.swiss. Retrieved 2018-12-09.
- "Official website of the Swiss watch industry". ochs und junior. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "Ochs und junior: the watch you want – FHH Journal". journal.hautehorlogerie.org. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- August 5, Stephen Pulvirent; 2016. "VIDEO: Ochs Und Junior's Ludwig Oechslin Explains How He Engineered The Simplest Perpetual Calendar On Earth". HODINKEE. Retrieved 2018-12-08.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "The 8 Most Accurate Moon Phase Wristwatches (Archive)". Quill & Pad. 2018-01-13. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "Ochs und Junior Moon Phase Patina". Time Transformed. 2015-12-11. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "Partners - About". ochs und junior. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- July 27, Jack Forster; 2018. "Editorial: Ochs Und Junior And The Aesthetics Of Anti-Aesthetics". HODINKEE. Retrieved 2018-12-08.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Bloomberg configurator". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- May 18, Stephen Pulvirent; 2017. "Introducing: Ochs und Junior's Updated Customizer Tool, With The Perpetual Calendar And Mobile Optimization". HODINKEE. Retrieved 2018-12-08.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "About". ochs und junior. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "Watches". ochsundjunior.swiss. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- "website of ochs und junior - news".
- "website of ochs und junior - ueber uns".
- "new HQ and new MD".