|Birth name||Oliver Godji|
|Born||January 22, 1996|
Oliver Godji (born 1996), better known by his stage name Octavian, is a French-British rapper from London. He released his first full-length mixtape, Spaceman, on 10 September 2018, and has appeared on tracks by Mura Masa and A2. He is signed to the Sony label Black Butter.
He was born in Lille, France, from an Ivorian family. After his father died he moved to London when he was three with his mother, and settled in Camberwell, South London. As a teenager he won a scholarship to the Brit school, but dropped out.
His first mixtape, 22, was released in 2016, followed by the Essie World EP in 2017. Octavian's recognition increased in January 2018 after the publication of an Instagram video of Drake singing along to the track "Party Here" at a Golden Globes after party.
The Fader have described Octavian's sound as a mixture of house, rap, and drill, as well as noting that his sound was influenced by Drake and Bon Iver. Pitchfork have described the sound as mixing "R&B and dancehall with downbeat grime, peppy house, and UK hip-hop". Critics have disagreed about how to classify Octavian's style, with High Snobiety noting that he is "Too British to be labeled trap but too American to be classed as grime".
The Guardian described his 2018 mixtape Spaceman as "a spectacular medley of the past decade of UK subgenres – the raspy-voiced rapper amalgamates elements of drill, grime and house to create something dextrous and distinctive." Pitchfork described the release as "daring eclecticism".
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|"Party Here"||2017||Non-album singles|
(with Mura Masa)
As featured artist
(Diplo featuring Octavian)
- "Meet Octavian: the UK rapper with a hand on his heart". Red Bull. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- Mahanty, Shannon (2018-09-06). "Octavian: the rising rapper who beat homelessness and pigeonholes". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Octavian Is the Drake-Approved UK Rapper Set to Light up 2018". Highsnobiety. 2018-09-14. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Octavian found his sound, and U.K. rap is better for it". The Fader. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Octavian Is Shaping the Sound of Rap in 2018—Just Ask Drake | Pitchfork". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Octavian : SPACEMAN Album Review | Pitchfork". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Sony/ATV and Stellar Songs sign UK rapper Octavian to global deal - Music Business Worldwide". Music Business Worldwide. 2018-08-21. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Octavian: The rapper who went from homelessness to winning the BBC Music Sound of 2019". BBC News. 2019-01-11. Retrieved 2019-01-11.
- "Move Me - Single by Mura Masa & Octavian". Apple Music (UK). 14 June 2018. Retrieved 8 February 2019.
- "New Shapes (feat. Octavian) - Single by Diplo". Apple Music (UK). 9 February 2019. Retrieved 8 February 2019.
- "Hear Diplo's New Trap-Pop Song 'New Shapes' From 'Europa' EP". Rolling Stone. 7 February 2019. Retrieved 8 February 2019.
| Sound of...