October is the tenth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and one of seven months with a length of 31 days. The eighth month in the old Roman calendar, October retained its name (from the Latin octō meaning "eight") after January and February were inserted into the calendar that had originally been created by the Romans.
October is commonly associated with the season of autumn in the Northern hemisphere and spring in the Southern hemisphere, where it is the seasonal equivalent to April in the Northern hemisphere and vice versa. In the Western world, October is also commonly associated with Halloween (All Hallows Eve), which initiates the season of Allhallowtide.
- 1 Events in October
- 1.1 Movable observances
- 1.1.1 First Friday
- 1.1.2 First Sunday
- 1.1.3 First Full Week of October
- 1.1.4 Week of October 9
- 1.1.5 Week of October 10
- 1.1.6 First Monday
- 1.1.7 First Wednesday
- 1.1.8 Wednesday of second full week in October
- 1.1.9 First or Second Thursday in October
- 1.1.10 Second Thursday in October
- 1.1.11 Second Friday
- 1.1.12 Second Saturday
- 1.1.13 Second Sunday
- 1.1.14 Second Monday
- 1.1.15 Third Thursday
- 1.1.16 Work day closest to October 16
- 1.1.17 Third Saturday
- 1.1.18 Third Monday
- 1.1.19 Third Full Week in October
- 1.1.20 Fourth Saturday
- 1.1.21 Fourth Monday
- 1.1.22 Last Friday
- 1.2 Fixed observances
- 1.3 Month-long observances
- 1.4 Cultural celebrations
- 1.5 Health observances
- 1.6 Culinary observances
- 1.1 Movable observances
- 2 Miscellaneous
- 3 October symbols
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Events in October
First Full Week of October
Week of October 9
- Fire Prevention Week (Canada, United States)
Week of October 10
- Child Health Day (International observance)
- Children's Day (Chile, Singapore)
- Labour Day (Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland, Australia)
- Territory Day (Christmas Island, Australia)
- Thanksgiving (Saint Lucia)
- World Architecture Day
- World Habitat Day
Wednesday of second full week in October
First or Second Thursday in October
Second Thursday in October
- Bird Day (Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean)
- Home Movie Day International observance
- National Tree Planting Day (Mongolia)
- Columbus Day (United States)
- Fraternal Day (Alabama, United States)
- Health and Sports Day (Japan)
- Indigenous Peoples' Day (United States)
- Mother's Day (Malawi)
- Native American Day (South Dakota, United States)
- Thanksgiving (Canada)
Work day closest to October 16
- Boss's Day (United States, Canada, Lithuania and Romania)
Third Full Week in October
- Medical Assistants Week (United States)
- October 1
- Armed Forces Day (South Korea)
- Children's Day (El Salvador, Guatemala, Sri Lanka)
- Day of Prosecutors (Azerbaijan)
- Independence Day (Cyprus)
- Independence Day (Nigeria), celebrates the independence of Nigeria from United Kingdom in 1960.
- Independence Day (Palau, Tuvalu)
- International Day of Older Persons
- Lincolnshire Day (United Kingdom)
- National Day of the People's Republic of China (People's Republic of China)
- Pancasila Sanctity Day (Indonesia)
- Teacher's Day (Uzbekistan)
- Unification Day (Cameroon)
- World Vegetarian Day
- October 2
- October 3
- October 4
- October 5
- October 6
- October 7
- October 8
- October 9
- October 10
- October 11
- General Pulaski Memorial Day (United States)
- International Day of the Girl Child (International)
- Meditrinalia (Ancient Rome)
- National Coming Out Day (multinational, including United States, United Kingdom and Switzerland among others)
- Old Michaelmas Day (Celtic)
- Revolution Day (Republic of Macedonia)
- October 12
- October 13
- October 14
- October 15
- Breast Health Day (Europe)
- Evacuation Day (Tunisia)
- Global Handwashing Day
- King Father's Commemoration Day (Cambodia)
- National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (United States)
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day (United States and Canada)
- Spirit Day (International observance)
- Teachers' Day (Brazil)
- White Cane Safety Day (United States)
- October 16
- October 17
- October 18
- October 19
- October 20
- October 21
- Apple Day (United Kingdom)
- Armed Forces Day (Honduras)
- Egyptian Naval Day (Egypt)
- Indian Police Commemoration Day (India)
- International Day of the Nacho
- National Nurses' Day (Thailand)
- Ndadaye Day (Burundi)
- Overseas Chinese Day (Republic of China)
- Trafalgar Day (the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th century)
- October 22
- October 23
- October 24
- October 25
- October 26
- October 27
- October 28
- October 29
- October 30
- October 31
- In Catholic tradition, October is the Month of the Holy Rosary.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Dwarfism/Little People Awareness Month 
- Eczema Awareness Month 
- National Arts & Humanities Month (United States)
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month (in United States)
- International Walk to School Day (International) 
- National Adopt A Shelter Dog Month (United States)
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- German American Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15 in the United States)
- National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15 in the United States)
- LGBT History Month (United States)
- Filipino American History Month (United States)
- Black History Month (in United Kingdom)
- Italian American Heritage Month: Italian Heritage and Culture Month
- Polish American Heritage Month
- Brain Tumour Awareness Month (Canada)
- Celiac Sprue Awareness Month
- Eczema Awareness Month 
- Health Literacy Month
- Healthy Lung Month
- Liver Awareness Month
- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (in United States and Canada)
- National Dental Hygiene Month (in United States)
- National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Infertility Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Domestic Violence Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Lupus Erythematosus Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Physical Therapy Month (in United States)
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month (in United States)
- Rett Syndrome Awareness Month (in United States)
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month (in United States)
- World Blindness Awareness Month
- American Pharmacist Month
- Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month
- 3D Ultrasound Awareness Month
- Mental Illness Awareness Week
- National Pizza Month
- National Popcorn Poppin’ Month
- National Pork Month (United States)
- National Sausage Month
- American Cheese Month
- The last two to three weeks in October is the only time of the year during which each of the "Big Four" major North American professional sports leagues schedule games; the National Basketball Association generally begins its pre season and about two weeks later start the regular season, the National Hockey League is about one month into its regular season, the National Football League is about halfway through its regular season, and Major League Baseball is in its postseason with the Leauge Championship Series and World Series, which lasts from five to nine days. (Additionally, the Canadian Football League is typically nearing the end of its regular season during this period, while Major League Soccer is beginning the MLS Cup Playoffs.)
- The month of October is dedicated to the devotion of the rosary in the Roman Catholic church.
- Slavs call it "yellow month", from the fading of the leaf; to the Anglo-Saxons it was known as Winterfylleth, because at this full moon (fylleth) winter was supposed to begin.
- Eric Whitacre composed a piece based on this month, titled October.
- Neil Gaiman wrote a story personifying the month, titled "October in the Chair", for his 2006 collection Fragile Things.
- Ray Bradbury published a collection of short stories titled The October Country in 1955.
- October's birthstones are the tourmaline and opal.
- Its birth flower is the calendula.
- The zodiac signs for this month are Libra (until October 21) and Scorpio (from October 22).
October Star Stones:
- Libra (Sept. 22 to Oct. 21)
Planetary Stone: Sapphire; Lucky Charms: Opal, Sardonyx, Chrysolite; birthstone: pink Tourmaline, Opal
- Scorpio (Oct. 22 to Nov. 21)
Planetary Stone: Garnet, Ruby; Lucky Charms: Aquamarine, Beryl
- October Lokesh birthstone is roser.
- October Mystical birthstone is Jasper.
- October Ayurvedic Birthstone is Opal.
- "Little People of America".
- "Eczema Awareness Month - National Eczema Association". National Eczema Association.
- http://www.staysafeonline.info/content/about-ncsam Archived October 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "International Walk to School". Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month". ASPCA. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- Staff Writer. "ancestry.com". ancestry.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Italian Heritage and Culture Month". Italyculturemonth.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Polish American Center". Polish American Center. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- Celiac Awareness Month Archived August 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Month Home". Health Literacy. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
-  Archived February 10, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "LiverFoundation.org". Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "National Breast Cancer Awareness Month generating awareness". Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "ADHA – October is National Dental Hygiene Month". Adha.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- National Down Syndrome Society – October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month Archived February 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Observing Infertility Awareness Month". Library.adoption.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "The Domestic Violence Awareness Month". Nrcdv.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
-  Archived November 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- APTA | National Physical Therapy Month Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Spina Bifida Association – Spina Bifida Association". Sbaa.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
-  Archived October 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "SUID/SIDS Resource Center". Sidscenter.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
-  Archived February 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "American Pharmacists Month 2011". Pharmacist.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
-  Archived July 16, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "October is 3D Ultrasound Awareness Month « First Peek Ultrasound Blog". Oakparkultrasound.com. 2010-10-19. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "National Pizza Month". Pizza.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Popcorn Poppin' Month". Popcorn.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "October is National Pork Month". ThePigSite. 2007-10-02.
- "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Special Devotions For Months". Newadvent.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "October". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- "Gemstone Leaflet" (PDF). Jewelers of America. Retrieved Jan 22, 2012.
- SHG Resources. "Birth Months, Flowers, and Gemstones". SHG Resources. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: October|
|Look up October in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to October.|