October is the tenth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and the sixth month to have the length of 31 days. The eighth month in the old Roman calendar, October retained its name (from the Latin ôctō meaning "eight") after January and February were inserted into the calendar that had originally been created by the Romans. In Ancient Rome, one of three Mundus patet would take place on October 5, Meditrinalia October 11, Augustalia on October 12, October Horse on October 15, and Armilustrium on October 19. These dates do not correspond to the modern Gregorian calendar. Among the Anglo-Saxons, it was known as Winterfylleth, because at this full moon (fylleth) winter was supposed to begin.
- 1 Other October observances
- 1.1 Non-Gregorian observances, 2017
- 1.2 Month-long observances
- 1.3 Movable observances, 2017 dates
- 1.3.1 First Full Week: October 1-7
- 1.3.2 First Sunday: October 1
- 1.3.3 First Monday: October 2
- 1.3.4 First Tuesday: October 3
- 1.3.5 First Wednesday: October 4
- 1.3.6 First Thursday: October 5
- 1.3.7 First Friday: October 6
- 1.3.8 Week of October 9: October 8-14
- 1.3.9 Week of October 10: October 8-14
- 1.3.10 Second Sunday: October 8
- 1.3.11 Second Monday: October 9
- 1.3.12 Wednesday of second full week in October: October 11
- 1.3.13 Second Wednesday: October 11
- 1.3.14 Second Thursday: October 12
- 1.3.15 Second Friday: October 13
- 1.3.16 Friday falling on 13th: October 13
- 1.3.17 Second Saturday: October 14
- 1.3.18 Third Sunday: October 15
- 1.3.19 Third Monday: October 16
- 1.3.20 Third Thursday: October 19
- 1.3.21 Third Saturday: October 21
- 1.3.22 Week of Fourth Wednesday: October 22-28
- 1.3.23 Second to last Sunday: October 22
- 1.3.24 Fourth Monday: October 23
- 1.3.25 Fourth Wednesday: October 25
- 1.3.26 Last Friday: October 27
- 1.3.27 Fourth Saturday: October 28
- 1.3.28 Saturday closest to October 26: October 28
- 1.3.29 Last Sunday: October 29
- 1.3.30 Last Monday: October 30
- 1.4 Fixed observances
- 2 Miscellaneous
- 3 October symbols
- 4 External links
Other October observances
This list does not necessarily imply either official status or general observance.
Non-Gregorian observances, 2017
(please note that all Jewish observances, which are set by the Hebrew calendar, begin at sunset the day prior to the date listed and end on the sunset of the date in question)
- July 9-October 5: Vassa (Theravada Buddhism)
- July 4-October 31: Chaturmas (Hinduism, Jainism)
- September 27-October 2: Dashain (Hinduism)
- October 2: Mehregan (Solar Hijri calendar, Iran)
- October 3: Shia day of Mourning: Siyyum of Shaheed-e-Karbala
- October 3-4: Thesmophoria (Attic calendar, modern Hellenism (religion))
- October 4: Erev Sukkot (Jewish calendar)
- October 4-6: Chuseok (Korean calendar)
- October 5: Abhidhamma Day (Theravada Buddhism, Burmese calendar)
- October 5: Sharad Purnima (Hinduism)
- October 5-11: Sukkot (Jewish calendar)
- October 6: Chandani Padva (Gujarati people, India)
- October 6/7-11: Chol HaMoed Sukkot (Jewish calendar, Seharane in Israel)
- October 7: Shabbat Chol Hamoed Sukkot (Jewish calendar)
- October 7: Shia day of Remembrance: Aam-ul-feel (Islamic calendar)
- October 8: Karva Chauth (Hinduism, Indian National Calendar)
- October 8: Shia day of Remembrance: Qibla was changed from Bait-ul-Muqqaddas to Ka'bah, 2 A.H (Islamic calendar)
- October 10: Shia day of Mourning: 10th day of Ashura (Islamic calendar)
- October 11: Hoshanah Rabbah (Jewish calendar)
- October 12: Simchat Torah (Jewish calendar)
- October 14: Shabbat Mevorchim (Jewish calendar)
- October 15: Shia day of Mourning: Martyrdom of Imam Zain-ul-Abideen, 95 A.H. (Islamic calendar)
- October 17: Dhanteras (Hinduism)
- October 17: Lakshmi Puja (Hinduism)
- October 17-21: Tihar (festival) (Nepali Vikram Samvat calendar, Hinduism)
- October 18: Amavasya (Hinduism)
- October 18: Kati Bihu Assam, India)
- October 18/19-22: Diwali (Hinduism)
- October 19: Bandi Chhor Divas (Sikhism)
- October 19: Kali Puja (Hinduism)
- October 20: Hecate's Deipnon (Attic calendar, modern Hellenism (religion))
- October 20: Mha Puja (Nepal Sambat)
- October 20: Shia day of Mourning: 20th day of Ashura (Islamic calendar)
- October 20-21: Rosh Chodesh of Cheshvan (Jewish calendar)
- October 21: Bhai Phonta (Hinduism, Bengali calendar)
- October 21: Noumenia (Attic calendar, modern Hellenism (religion))
- October 21: Two Shia Days of Remembrance (Islamic calendar)
- October 23: Bahab (Jewish calendar)
- October 24-27: Chhath (Hinduism)
- October 27: Birth of Imam Musa-e-Kazim, 128 A.H. (Islamic calendar)
- October 28: Double Ninth Festival (Chinese calendar)
- October 29: Cyrus the Great Day (Solar Hijri calendar)
- October 30-44: Multiple Shia days of remembrance (Islamic calendar)
- In Catholic Church tradition, October is the Month of the Holy Rosary.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Health Literacy Month
- International Walk to School Month
- Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month
- Rett Syndrome Awareness Month
- World Blindness Awareness Month
The last two to three weeks in October (and, occasionally, the first week of November) are the only time of the year during which each of the "Big Four" major North American professional sports leagues schedule games; the National Basketball Association begins its preseason and about two weeks later starts the regular season, the National Hockey League is about one month into its regular season, the National Football League is about halfway through its regular season, and Major League Baseball is in its postseason with the League Championship Series and World Series. There have been 17 occasions in which all four leagues have played games on the same day (an occurrence popularly termed a "sports equinox"), with the most recent of these having taken place on October 19, 2017. Additionally, the Canadian Football League is typically nearing the end of its regular season during this period, while Major League Soccer is beginning the MLS Cup Playoffs.
- National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month 
- National Arts & Humanities Month
- National Bullying Prevention Month
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Filipino American History Month
- Italian American Heritage Month
- LGBT History Month
- Polish American Heritage Month
- National Work and Family Month
- American Pharmacist Month
- Dwarfism/Little People Awareness Month 
- Eczema Awareness Month 
- National Dental Hygiene Month
- National Healthy Lung Month
- National Infertility Awareness Month
- Liver Awareness Month
- National Lupus Erythematosus Awareness Month
- National Physical Therapy Month
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Awareness Month  (United States)
United States, Culinary
- National Pizza Month
- National Popcorn Poppin’ Month
- National Pork Month
- National Seafood Month
Movable observances, 2017 dates
- Oktoberfest celebrations (varies globally based on area)
- International Walk to School Day: October 4
- World Ballet Day: October 5
- World Cerebral Palsy Day: October 6
- World College Radio Day: October 6
- Lee National Denim Day (United States): October 7
- Earth Science Week (United States): October 8-14
- Ada Lovelace Day (International observance): October 10
- Conservation Week: October 14-22
- Blog Action Day: October 16
- Get Smart About Credit Day (United States): October 19
- Asexual Awareness Week: October 22-28
First Full Week: October 1-7
First Sunday: October 1
- Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem (Pentecostal Christianity)
- Father's Day (Luxembourg)
- Grandparents Day (Queensland, Australia, United Kingdom)
- Teachers' Day (Belarus, Latvia, Ukraine)
- World Communion Sunday (Christianity)
First Monday: October 2
- Child Health Day (United States)
- Children's Day (Chile, Singapore)
- Labour Day (Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland, Australia)
- Territory Day (Christmas Island, Australia)
- Thanksgiving (Canada)
- Thanksgiving (Saint Lucia)
- World Architecture Day
- World Habitat Day
First Tuesday: October 3
First Wednesday: October 4
First Thursday: October 5
- National Poetry Day (UK, Ireland)
First Friday: October 6
Week of October 9: October 8-14
- Fire Prevention Week (Canada, United States)
Week of October 10: October 8-14
Second Sunday: October 8
Second Monday: October 9
- Columbus Day (United States)
- Fraternal Day (Alabama, United States)
- Health and Sports Day (Japan)
- Mother's Day (Malawi)
- Norfolk Island Agricultural Show Day (Norfolk Island)
- Thanksgiving (Canada)
- National Day (Republic of China)
Wednesday of second full week in October: October 11
Second Wednesday: October 11
Second Thursday: October 12
Second Friday: October 13
Friday falling on 13th: October 13
Second Saturday: October 14
- International Migratory Bird Day (Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean)
- Home Movie Day (International observance)
- National Tree Planting Day (Mongolia)
Third Sunday: October 15
Third Monday: October 16
- Boss's Day (United States, Canada, Lithuania and Romania)
Third Thursday: October 19
Third Saturday: October 21
Week of Fourth Wednesday: October 22-28
Second to last Sunday: October 22
Fourth Monday: October 23
Fourth Wednesday: October 25
Last Friday: October 27
- National Bandanna Day (Australia)
- Nevada Day (Nevada, United States)
- Teacher's Day (Australia) (If the last Friday is on October 31, this holiday is moved to November 7)
- Malin's Day (Romania)
Fourth Saturday: October 28
Saturday closest to October 26: October 28
Last Sunday: October 29
Last Monday: October 30
- October 1
- Armed Forces Day (South Korea)
- Children's Day (El Salvador, Guatemala, Sri Lanka)
- Day of Prosecutors (Azerbaijan)
- Continuance of German-American Heritage Months, which runs from September 15-October 15  (United States)
- Continuance of National Hispanic Heritage Month which runs from September 15-October 15 (United States),
- Ground Forces Day (Russia)
- Independence Day (Cyprus)
- Independence Day (Nigeria)
- Independence Day (Palau)
- Independence Day (Tuvalu)
- International Coffee Day
- International Day of Older Persons
- International Music Day
- Lincolnshire Day (United Kingdom)
- National Day of the People's Republic of China (People's Republic of China)
- Pancasila Sanctity Day (Indonesia)
- Teacher's Day (Uzbekistan)
- Unification Day (Cameroon)
- World Vegetarian Day
- October 2
- October 3
- October 4
- October 5
- October 6
- Day of Commemoration and National Mourning (Turkmenistan)
- Dukla Pass Victims Day (Slovakia)
- German-American Day (United States)
- Memorial Day for the Martyrs of Arad (Hungary)
- National Noodle Day (United States)
- Teachers' Day (Sri Lanka)
- Yom Kippur War commemorations:
- October 7
- October 8
- October 9
- October 10
- October 11
- October 12
- October 13
- October 14
- October 15
- Breast Health Day (Europe)
- Evacuation Day (Tunisia)
- Global Handwashing Day
- King Father's Commemoration Day (Cambodia)
- National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (United States)
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day (United States and Canada)
- Spirit Day (International observance)
- Teachers' Day (Brazil)
- White Cane Safety Day (United States)
- October 16
- October 17
- October 18
- October 19
- October 20
- October 21
- Apple Day (United Kingdom)
- Armed Forces Day (Honduras)
- Egyptian Naval Day (Egypt)
- Indian Police Commemoration Day (India)
- International Day of the Nacho
- National Nurses' Day (Thailand)
- Ndadaye Day (Burundi)
- Overseas Chinese Day (Republic of China)
- Trafalgar Day (the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th century)
- October 22
- October 23
- October 24
- October 25
- October 26
- October 27
- October 28
- October 29
- October 30
- Anniversary of the Declaration of the Slovak Nation (Slovakia)
- Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Political Repressions (former Soviet republics, except Ukraine)
- Indonesian Banknote Day (Indonesia)
- International Orthopaedic Nurses Day
- Mischief Night (United States and Canada)
- Thevar Jayanthi (Thevar community, India)
- October 31
- Start of Allhallowtide October 31 - November 6
- The first day of the Day of the Dead, celebrated until November 2 (Mexico)
- Día de la Canción Criolla (Peru)
- Eve of Winter, the eve of the first day of winter in the Northern hemisphere:
- Girl Scouts Founders Day (United States)
- King Father's Birthday (Cambodia)
- National Unity Day (India)
- Reformation Day (Slovenia, parts of Germany, Chile, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Evangelical Churches and Lutheran Churches)
- Saci day (Brazil)
- World Savings Day
- Eric Whitacre composed a piece based on this month, titled October.
- Neil Gaiman wrote a story personifying the month, titled "October in the Chair", for his 2006 collection Fragile Things.
- Ray Bradbury published a collection of short stories titled The October Country in 1955.
- October's birthstones are the tourmaline and opal.
- Its birth flower is the calendula.
- The zodiac signs for this month are Libra (until October 22) and Scorpio (from October 23).
October Star Stones:
- Libra (Sept. 22 to Oct. 22)
Planetary Stone: Sapphire; Lucky Charms: Opal, Sardonyx, Chrysolite; birthstone: pink Tourmaline, Opal
- Scorpio (Oct. 23 to Nov. 21)
Planetary Stone: Garnet, Ruby; Lucky Charms: Aquamarine, Beryl
- October Lokesh birthstone is roser.
- October Mystical birthstone is Jasper.
- October Ayurvedic Birthstone is Opal.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "October". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Special Devotions For Months". Newadvent.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Health Literacy Month – Finding the Right Words for Better Health". www.healthliteracymonth.org.
- "SDMS Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month". www.sdms.org.
- "Home - Rettsyndrome.org". www.rettsyndrome.org.
-  Archived February 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Rapaport, Daniel (October 19, 2017). "Today Might Be the Best Sports Day of the Year". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- "October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month". ASPCA. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- http://www.staysafeonline.info/content/about-ncsam Archived October 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Italian Heritage and Culture Month". Italyculturemonth.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "American Pharmacists Month 2011". Pharmacist.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Little People of America".
- "Eczema Awareness Month - National Eczema Association". National Eczema Association.
- "ADHA – October is National Dental Hygiene Month". Adha.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Healthy Lung Month - Lung problems". 5 October 2012.
- "Observing Infertility Awareness Month". Library.adoption.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Liver Awareness Month". www.liverfoundation.org.
-  Archived November 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- APTA | National Physical Therapy Month Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Spina Bifida Association – Spina Bifida Association". Sbaa.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "October is SIDS Awareness Month". www.nichd.nih.gov.
- "National Pizza Month". Pizza.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Popcorn Poppin' Month". Popcorn.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "October is National Pork Month". ThePigSite. 2007-10-02.
- "NOAA Fisheries Celebrates National Seafood Month". NOAA.gov. 2017-10-01. Retrieved 2017-10-09.
- "Asexual Awareness Week". www.asexualawarenessweek.com.
- "Diversity - UMUC". www.umuc.edu.
- "Gemstone Leaflet" (PDF). Jewelers of America. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-02-22. Retrieved Jan 22, 2012.
- SHG Resources. "Birth Months, Flowers, and Gemstones". SHG Resources. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: October|
|Look up October in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to October.|