October (2010 film)
|Directed by||Daniel Vega Vidal, |
Diego Vega Vidal
|Written by||Daniel Vega Vidal, |
Diego Vega Vidal
|Starring||Bruno Odar, |
Gabriela Velásquez and
October (Spanish: Octubre) is a 2010 Peruvian drama film directed by brothers Daniel Vega Vidal and Diego Vega Vidal. The film was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival. The film was selected as the Peruvian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 84th Academy Awards, but it did not make the final shortlist.
The film tells the story of Clemente, a moneylender of few words, who might be a new hope for Sofía, his single neighbor. She is a devoted worshiper of Our Lord of the Miracles, a traditional religious image. They're brought together over a new-born baby, fruit of Clemente's relationship with a prostitute who's nowhere to be found. While Clemente is looking for the girl's mother, Sofía cares for the baby and looks after the moneylender's house. With the arrival of these beings in his life, Clemente has the opportunity to reconsider his emotional relations with people.
- Bruno Odar as Clemente
- Gabriela Velásquez as Sofía
- Carlos Gassols as Don Fico
- María Carbajal
- Víctor Prada
- Sofía Palacios
- Norma Francisca Villarreal
- Humberta Trujillo
- List of submissions to the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Peruvian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Hare, Breeanna (2010-05-11). "Cannes 101: A film festival field guide". CNN. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- ""Octubre" es la cinta peruana prenominada para el Oscar 2012". Terra.com.pe. 2011-09-21.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Vie for Oscar". Retrieved 2012-01-19.