Type of site
|Podcast publishing and aggregation|
|Owner||Sonic Mountain, Inc.|
|Created by||Evan Williams,
|Alexa rank||1,671,224 (August 2015[update])|
Odeo was a directory and search destination website for RSS-syndicated audio and video. It employed tools that enabled users to create, record, and share podcasts with a simple Adobe Flash-based interface.
Odeo was originally developed by founders Noah Glass and Evan Williams, who were previously founders of Audioblog and Pyra Labs, respectively, and received funding from Charles River Ventures. Subsequently, Williams bought out Charles River's interest in the company, as well as that of several other investors, and re‑formed the organization under a new company, Obvious Corp, which planned to develop new products, including Twitter.
On September 14, 2007, Sonic Mountain announced that it had acquired the technology assets of FireAnt, an RSS video-aggregation website and desktop media player, and that it planned to incorporate FireAnt's technology into Odeo. On March 18, 2008, Sonic Mountain announced that it had acquired Blogdigger, a search engine for blogs and RSS content, with plans to incorporate the technology into Odeo. In June 2008, Odeo was relaunched by Sonic Mountain with a completely redesigned site and an expanded focus on search and discovery for syndicated audio and video.
In March 2009, Odeo began its transition to a fee-based service for large corporations looking to manage their video libraries. Targeting companies that needed to organize and track video usage, Odeo released its “Enterprise Video Management” platform as a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution. Their first customers included such notables as American Express and eGA[disambiguation needed].
In August 2010, Odeo suspended its support of the consumer site odeo.com to focus its attention on enterprise video.
- "Odeoenterprise.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- Williams, Evan (2007-02-19). "Marketplace Wanted; Web Site for Sale". EvHead.com. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- Arrington, Michael (2007-05-09). "Breaking: Odeo Acquired By SonicMountain". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Arrington, Michael (14 September 2007). "Odeo (Formerly SonicMountain) Acquires FireAnt". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2007-09-14.
- MacManus, Richard (2008-03-18). "Exclusive: Blogdigger Acquired by Odeo". ReadWriteWeb. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
|This World Wide Web–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|